Carbon buildup

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by eslawns, Aug 12, 2002.

1. eslawns

eslawns LawnSite Senior Member

Check the exhaust ports in the cylinder wall behind the muffler for carbon buildup if your 2 cycle stuff is bogging down. I found 2 of the trimmers were almost completely closed off. Scraped off the trash and they run as if they were new.

2. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

if you use Amsoil 100 to 1 oil you'll never have a carbon problem. Producing no smoke is great also.

3. eslawns

And the difference in cost of running Amsoil instead of Shindy 2 cycle oil over 5 years would probably come close to buying a new machine. Thanks, but I'll pass.

4. khouse

I pay 3.10 per 8 oz bottle and it makes 6 gallons. That's 52 cents per gallon. What is the price of your oil per gallon? I believe it's worth any extra for no smoke and crisper throttle response and less wear on components.

5. eslawns

$1.75 for the 5 gallon mix.

Let's see...

$.52 per gallon for Amsoil, $.32/gal for Shindy for a difference of $.17/gal. If you use 6 gallons per week, for 40 weeks (my season) you use 240 gallons. Over the course of 5 years, that's 1200 gallons at $.17 each for a total cost of $204. And I probably use a little more than this.

Which, incidentally is exactly what I paid for my Lesco trimmer, and about $10 more than what I can get Echos for at my dealer. My units have very little smoke, usually run great. If all I need to do is take the muffler off every 4 years to clean off carbon, then I can do that and save my self some money.

I'm not knocking Amsoil, I just don't see what advantage they offer. There's a lawn guy here who does it and he has nothing but good things to say about it. It just isn't for me.

6. khouse

That's a really good price on your Shin oil. I checked my local dealer and the Shin oil was $1.75 for the 2.5 gal mix. It is the 6.4 oz bottle. How many oz in your bottle? You probably get the oil at that price since you use a lot. I also added the tax on to my price. Your right though if you get the oil that cheap then it is a great savings.