Carbon in my Shin T2500

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Pathfinders Lawncare, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Pathfinders Lawncare

Pathfinders Lawncare LawnSite Member

I've run my T2500 steady for over 3 seasons. I always use premium fuel and Opti mix. I've had some carbon build up problems and so last season I changed to Amsoil. It ran fine most of the year and then near year end it really started to have carbon build up again. It will be running fine and then just die. I have to pull the plug, spray some cleaner in the cylinder and let it sit a few hours. When I install the plug and it fires up, sometimes it spits out a carbon chunk, then runs fine for a while. I only run 80 twisted string but I do like it a scosh long. Do'nt run a guard. Any ideas?

2. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

Try taking out the spark arrester.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

Do you have the same situation when using the Shindaiwa ONE 2-cycle oil?

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Thats the one thing we always do!!!!:walking:

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

These units will build up carbon in the exhaust and it should be cleaned out each year or more. Simply remove the exhaust and spark plug and take a wood dowel and knock the carbon out. Use an air hose to force the carbon out by putting it into the plug hole. Be sure you get as much carbon pieces out as you can or they can scour the rings.

6. CLARK LAWN

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

while you have the muffler off spray a little starter fluid in it and light it on fire. let it burn it self out do this 2 or 3 times and it will burn all the carbon out. i do it to mine 2 a season.

7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

That or use a propane torch.

Try and stay away from low rpm usage. This is an easy way to allow carbon build up.

8. weve

weve LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Central Illinois

I've always used premium fuel and Opti mix in my T2500 too and also have had the carbon build up problem. At EXPO 2005 - Louisville, KY, I talk to a tech guy from Shindaiwa. He said that I should be using 87 octane fuel in the T2500 at temperatures of 85° or below. I tried that a few times late last fall and it did seem to run better. All of my 2 cycle equipment runs fine on premium fuel and Opti mix.