Carbourator removal

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Cromark369, May 31, 2012.

1. Cromark369

Cromark369 LawnSite Member

I have a 2003 Craftsman LT 1000 Mod 917 with a kohler 17.5 hp. Fuel is not getting to the carb. The fuel cap is ok. When I put a little gas in the top of the carb it stars and runs and then quits. Think it might be the fuel pump. I cant find any diagrams on how to remove the carb/fule pump. Any help would be appreciated . Thanks WMC.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Enter your engine model numbers HERE and download a service manual, It will tell you all you need to know.....

3. Cromark369

thanks. Carb rebuilt and working fine. However, new problem When I started it. It ran for about 10 seconds and then Oil shot out the breather hose into the air cleaner. Is this a blown head gasket or something less serious. Kohler cv960s 17hp. thanks

4. Restrorob

Check the oil level and see if the oil smells like fuel...

Did it make any odd noises on shut-down ?

5. Cromark369

No noises however I just checked. Oil smells like gas. What does that mean. Motor shot?

6. Restrorob

No, The carb flooded and filled the crankcase with fuel. Go back into the carb and re-check the float and needle valve, Then hook the fuel line back up before you slide the carb all the way up to the intake and let it sit to make sure it doesn't flood again.

If not, Change the oil and go mow......