Carburetor leaking gas

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dfor, Aug 29, 2006.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

17 hp Kawasaki. It is on my back-up mower. I haven't started it in about 6 weeks. Smelled gas in the garage yesterday afternoon. Cleaned trailer today, started mower for a few minutes.

This afternoon it is really dripping gas from where the choke is in the carb. I shut the fuel valve off. What do I need to do to fix this? Thanks for any help.
  2. Jim@MilkyWay

Jim@MilkyWay LawnSite Senior Member

First thing; till repairs are made, _DO NOT_ start engine without checking oil level. Check it every time you go to start it. It is fairly common to get a crankcase full of gas as indicated by "oil level" which shows two to three inches above full mark on dip stick. It will still look like oil, but it won't smell like oil if you stick the dip stick up to your nose and give it a good sniff.
    The float and needle valve in carb is what shuts off fuel flow.
    I think most times, a bit of trash gets on the needle or seat causing a failure to seal, resulting in undesired fuel flow. Remove carb, disassemble bowl, remove pin from float "hinge", and the needle valve and seat is underneath. Pull needle valve out, (be careful as the float assembly is a delicate component; also pay attention to how it came apart) use a magnifying glass if you do not have good close up vision and check rubber cone on end of needle valve. If it is not symmetrical, if it is torn or disfigured then replace Assembly. If it looks OK then shine flashlight onto jet where this needle valve seats; inspect and clean as necessary.
    Reassemble and let 'er rip.
    Your float could be bad, but in all my years I have never actually had one with a crack, a hole, or a busted seam. While you have it apart, if you shake the float, all by itself, and it sounds like it is full of gas, it is.