Cardboard sign - - - Don't cut the grass

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Oct 8, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

You pull up to a weekly account, they get cut every week, and never complain, and they have been customers for 4 years. You find a stake in the lawn with a cardboard sign attached. It says, "Do Not Cut The Grass." You knock at the door, and they say, "oh we tried to call you all last evening, but we kept getting a busy signal. We just had something applied for chinch bugs, please come back next week."
    You know this to be true about the phone, because you found the phone at 1:00am beeping with a low battery, it must have been taken off the hook somehow... So what do you do?
    Do you
    A. Say, "Sure Mrs. Smith, no problem"
    B. Say, "Sorry, but you're out of luck, we came here and it's getting cut, too bad you couldn't get ahold of us.
    C. Say nothing and just bill her at the end of the month for the cut anyways.
    D. Punish her for the next 4 weeks by not showing up.

Not looking for advice, just starting conversation.....

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

E. Tell her okay but that you will still have to bill for the cut because you were there and the reason is out of your control and that even had they called last evening and got through that it was not within 24 hours and that they had control over which day the lawn was treated knowing which day you cut....(all nicely stated if possible).

3. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

A, given all that was stated.

dcondon likes this.
  4. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

A. Say, "Sure Mrs. Smith, no problem"

5. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

"A"...............after all it was your fault that your phone was off the hook - not hers.

6. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would say no problem and be happy i may finish my days work a little earlier.But when you go there next week if you have to double cut it, charge extra.

7. upsondown

upsondown LawnSite Senior Member

and............ your started this by saying you have had them for 4 years and they never complain...................I'm assuming this is the first time something like this has happened??? If I have a non complaining 4 year customer and this were to happen - I would not give it a second thought - I'd stick with "A" and apologize about the phone problem and thank them. Me thinks - if ye bill 'em - ya just might get either a cancellation or a pita in the future.

8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

""Not looking for advice, just starting conversation.....""

I'm sorry Jodi... I didn't read the above until now. What do you want to talk about? Are you trying to make a point? They did try to contact you and your phone was not working... but I think the night before is not enough notice.

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

F) Run over the sign as you are cutting... :cool2:

10. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

That is plenty of notice .Your running a lawn service not a doctors office.