1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cardiac Arrest

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Loosestrife, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Loosestrife

Loosestrife LawnSite Member
    from PA

... Well, almost. Was trimming a large yew foundation planting the other day, about as tall as I was. All was going well, till I saw the snake. Deathly afraid of those critters. As it turns out, it was a rubber one planted in the tree to scare off birds.

When I saw it, dropped the shears, and did a little dance, entertaining everyone that was watching.

I had to sit down for a little while to regain my composure.
  2. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

Boy you need to watch those fake ones. I have a customer who put them out, and they look real. Now the rabbits eat them..... To bad they wouldn't eat the real ones.
  3. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I can honestly say that if I had been there that rubber snake and the shears would have gotten very well acquainted with one another.....

Is is all fun and games until someone runs into a snake!!!

4. TotalLawn

TotalLawn LawnSite Member

I promised my 5 year old son that I would catch the next one I see. My wife got an aquarium for him to keep it in. He asks me everyday if I have got one yet.
  5. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

So far seen 5 snakes (only the tail of 1) so far this year, 3 garter snakes, and 2 unidentified snakes, one of them was a solid brown color. One of those garter snakes got cut up! :D Boy them double blades work well for "snake grinders"!

It always surprises me when I see one.

Weirdest snake sighting in my life:
    While walkin' on a pier in a swamp in the outer banks, NC, there was a cotton mouth (water moccassin) all coiled up about 5 feet from where we were walking.
  6. Alanky

Alanky LawnSite Member

i love snakes!! i catch and take home every snake and turtle i find on a job. If they eat i keep em awhile and let em go in a "country" area, and if they do not eat i still let them go after awhile. I have only seen 3 this year though :( i see more box turtles than anything. no sense in killing them...i mean what did they do to you? The most interesting one i found would be the python that i ended up donating to my local zoo, guess he was an escaped pet because they arent native to these parts!
  7. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

We ran into one (real) on my own lawn. It was black and yellow (kill a fellow). My business partner swore I walked right over it. Well he gets a hoe and moves it to the street so it was more visible. Well the thing sits up in a striking position right in the middle of the street. Since the snake is sitting up like it was on a tee (t-ball) my partner swings at its head and clearly decapitates it. Scared the heck out of me...
  8. Leonard

Leonard LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I'd need another pair of underwear if that happend to me.
  9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Been there done that!

Dang near took down a Bradford Pear with a Stihl trimmer one day last month.

Homey had that trimmer all- up-- in that tree trying to kill that thang.

I hope the customer asks what happened cause I'll sure tell her.

Lawn Dude.........................Where's my rubber snake?

Why is my tree all chopped up?

Had me going like Barney Fife.:blob3:
  10. Hawaii don't got snakes. They are strickly outlawed and anyone caught with one will receive dire legal GahGah.

We got centipedes and they will bite you good and venom will make you have a real bad day. They like cool places and that means they like to get under rocks n stuff. If you disturb the nest you may see them scury away. I usuually try to cut them in half with my machete or something. They have been known to crawl up your pantleg and when you feel somethin skwiggly in there you got no choice but to get naked fast and hope he only bites you a couple times!

See ya.