Care to design my truck?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by Dave does lawns, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Dave does lawns

Dave does lawns LawnSite Senior Member

So I have a 1991 GMC that I put stained black wood sides on and I want to put some kind of signage on with company name and phone number. I am looking for any opinions or suggestions to capture peoples attention. Perhaps someone is good with graphics and could edit pictures attached below to give me some ideas. I have very little branding at this point so the possibilities are endless.

I was thinking of engraving the wood and then staining the engraved letters, images with bright color(s) to pop out from the black. I also am going to install a tail gate ramp to minimize the need for the trailer.

IMG_0140[1].jpg

IMG_0141[1].jpg

2. Jaybrown

Jaybrown LawnSite Bronze Member

I wouldn't do high end neighbour hoods with that

3. New2TheGreenIndustry

New2TheGreenIndustry LawnSite Senior Member
    from GA

I'm sorry, this will come off as rude, but the only thing I see fitting is "Dave Does Lawns For Beer Money". The whole truck needs painting and then a professional lettering on the truck.

4. Dave does lawns

Lol, now that were done comparing manhood, lets compare our profits.
    Its ok I can take it, but I must say its one of the best lawn trucks around here in my opinion and truth is its paid for itself over and over again.
    So since your replies had no relation to what I was asking for I will eagerly await any other opinions on what I could/should do with the wood.

5. Holleywood

Holleywood LawnSite Member

Name and number. Short and simple

6. DLONGLANDSCAPING

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

Since no one is going to help you, and obviously the truck is working for you and your business, do this:

First off, paint the fenders, or at lease sand the rust off and put some primer or POR15 on it or that thing is going to be rusted out in a couple of years.

Secondly, Dont engrave the wood. The wood is going to get beat up if you are using it as a work truck and look shoddy in 2 years.

Third: Get a product called alumilite. Order a 4x8 piece and have them cut it in two. So you have 2'x8' on each side of your truck. Then get this lettered. And bolt with 1/4" bolts around the entire perimeter of the alumilite.

Fourth: Get a logo made and put a 24"x24" logo of your company name on each of your doors along with your city you work it

Fifth: Get your number in BIG LETTERS along the top or bottom of the alumilite sheet, and offer a couple services for example
    "Land and Landscape Services"
    or
    "-Lawn Maintenance -Snow Removal -Landscape Design and Installation"

Sixth: Since you are going to be putting a ramp on the back of the truck for loading mowers and such in. Get another piece of alumilite 6' x 3 '(or as big as the gate you intend to put back there) and letter it with your logo on the left side with city underneath in small letters, and along the bottom put your number and website, and then along the right side of the alumilite put a list of 5-6 services you offer.

Dave,
    Many guys on here arent going to take you serious if you are asking how to be professional with a 91' truck. I know the year may not matter to you, and all you care about is profits, but a rusty old truck isnt professional. My advice would be to go to autozone or o'reillys and pick up a quart of POR15, a couple bondo kits and fix all the imperfections and rusty spots on your truck and then mask your truck and take it to macco to get a nice clean paint job to make your truck last longer and look more professional.

I wouldnt spend more than 400 painting the truck, but i would spend close to 800 getting the alumilite signs made up. Keep in mind, all the signs can be taken off your truck and put on another if you decide to sell or scrap:laugh: your truck. This will save you 500 dollars down the road if you are looking to get a new truck lettered.

Let me know if you have any questions. If you really want, i can draw up some ideas of what i am saying above.

7. Mayor of Mow Town

Mayor of Mow Town LawnSite Member

From what I can see on your website, it looks like you already have a logo. Why not start with that, and add your phone number?

8. Dave does lawns

Thank you for such a detailed idea.
    This truck is what I have for the next year at which time I will be able to buy another. This truck is in perfect running condition and I have never lost a job because of its appearance. That being said I'd hate to mention what I actually drive around to meetings and or quote request's.

9. DLONGLANDSCAPING

DLONGLANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

no problem. You have to start somewhere, and to grow, to be able to afford a nice shiney truck, you need to advertise.

Here is a quick design. I know its not your car or colors, but you get my idea. This took me 5 minutes on microsoft word. Wish i had photoshop!

Screen Shot 2013-03-10 at 1.44.57 AM.jpg

10. Dave does lawns

WOW! Thank you so much.