Care to share prices?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Dec 13, 2002.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Here is what I have....I will offer hedge trimming, overseeding, and maybe fertilizing. Possibly other things if requested. Any suggestions on prices for hedging, seeding, and fertilizing? My prices are largely based on time it will take me to do it. Example, I figured out (accurately) I can do a 10k sq ft. lawn mowed, trimmed, blowed, in 10 minutes with me and my brother using a 48" hydro w/b and sulky. Let me know what you think, thanks.
    Eric
    ----------------------------------

Mowing under ½ acre – sq. ft. x .001 = price (4mph)

Mowing above ½ acre – sq. ft. x .0007 = price (5-6mph)

Trimming – linear ft. x .02 = price (50¢ per tree/pole, $1.25 small building, $2.49 large building) (2mph)

Blowing – linear ft. x .01 = price (3mph)

Edging initial edge – linear ft. x .2 = price

Edging maintained – linear ft. x .03 = price (1mph)

Mulch installation – $49.95 per cubic yard, each covers 100 sq. ft. at 3” deep

Mulch delivery - $34.95 first cubic yard, $29.95 each additional cubic yard (dumped on site)

Leaf mulching, light - .001 x sq ft = price per pass (4mph)

Leaf mulching, medium - .0015 x sq ft = price per pass (alittle slower)

Leaf removal, light - .002 x sq ft = price

Leaf removal, medium - .0025 x sq ft = price

Leaf removal, heavy - .003 x sq ft = price

Dethatching - .0035 x sq ft = price (using a tine dethatcher on mower and using a catcher)

Aerating - .0035 x sq ft = price (using a 36" tow behind aerator)

2. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

honestly, i don't even know where to begin...

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

C'mon guys!
    If it makes it any easier, I'll put in the price per 10,000 sq ft. of lawn...

Mowing under ½ acre – $10/10k sq '

Mowing above ½ acre – $15.25/1/2 acre

Trimming – 100' = $2 (50¢ per tree/pole, $1.25 small building, $2.49 large building)

Blowing – 100 linear ft - $1 (around 4 sq ft per linear ft pass?)

Edging initial edge – 100' - $20 (might not charge this much but thats how long it takes)

Edging maintained – 100' - $3

Mulch installation – $49.95 per cubic yard, each covers 100 sq. ft. at 3” deep

Mulch delivery - $34.95 first cubic yard, $29.95 each additional cubic yard (dumped on your site)

Leaf mulching, light - $10 per pass @10k sq ft

Leaf mulching, medium - $15 per pass @ 10k sq ft

Leaf removal, light - $20 @ 10k sq ft

Leaf removal, medium - $25 @ 10k sq ft

Leaf removal, heavy - $30 @ 10k sq ft

Dethatching - $35 @ 10k sq ft

Aerating - $35 @ 10k sq ft

Of course the leaf removal price is just for like weekly, maintained removal.. cleanups are only per hour and I would say $85/hr two guys for that maybe.
    Thanks

4. coonman

coonman LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know where to begin either. We just walk the lawn and give a price. It seem's to work fine for us

5. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

OK i see I made it too complicated for you guys......
    your average city lawn might look like this:
    10,000 square feet ($10 to mow)
    A house ($2.50 to trim)
    A mini barn ($1.25 to trim)
    5 trees ($2.50 to trim)
    125 linear feet of blowing drive and walk ($1.25 to blow)
    $70 per hour
    X 15 hours per week work (my goal) = 60 lawns at 10k sq ft
    $4,200 per month
    X 8 months per year (not counting full price for leaves)
    A good sum of money for only 480 hrs/year of work. This is with 2 guys, mowing only. Not too shabby? If the deal I'm working on (buying a business) works out, I'll only have about 7 hrs per week of work but I'd like to expand as much as possible. I would feel really comfortable at 15 hrs/week :D :cool:

Did this post put it in perspective?
    Input desired! I want to know if my prices are about right?
    Thanks,
    Eric

6. bluemoon

bluemoon LawnSite Member
    from Kansas

You are too cheap. I don't drop the gate for less than $25.00.

7. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Personally, I'd love to see anyone mow a 10,000 sq ft lawn w/ a 48 in 10 minutes. I'm always happy if a 2 man crew can do 4 lawns under 5000 sqft in an hour. W/ minimal travel time of course. Generally they can probably do 3 to slightly better than 3 an hour if they're small enough. You would not be able to mow 4 10,000 sq.ft residential lawns per hour w/ a 2 man crew and have them trimmed, edged & blown off to a respectable and acceptable level unless they were all together, or bagging was at a minimal. All of the guys in my area know that heavy growth in thespring would throw this out the window. But then again, I wouldn't touch a 10,000 sq ft lawn for $17.50 either. That figure would have to double at least, and and then some if there's any level of difficulty.

Bob

8. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

BushHogBoy

I have to admit I admire just about all of your posts. But the first couple here were kind of confusing (at the least) until the last.

I think too maybe you could (should) bump your rates up some. Granted we live in different areas where supply and demand are different. But we all want to make the ol mighty dollar. And as a true blue, red-blooded American, I'm a Capitalist at heart.

One last issue...I don't know what your overhead is?

9. bubble boy

bubble boy LawnSite Bronze Member

make NO mistake i FULLY understood what you were saying in your first post.

good luck

10. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

GOOD LORD!

Bluemoon, you have a problem with $70 per hour with 2 men??? I sure as hell don't!!

Bob,
    Anytime you come up I'll do it for you. I guarantee that 2 guys can do 4 of these lawns (mow, trim, blow, no edging) having it looking respectable in an hour with travel time, at $17.50 each thats $70 an hour. I am not going to bag them, going to mulch them and they won't know the difference. Why discharge when you can mulch, it looks so much better, you don't make a big mess and you dont' have to worry about where you're throwing grass. On small lawns it does not slow me down either. Spring growth may be another deal I don't know for sure.

Rodfather,
    Thank you, but I feel like $70/hr is a respectable almighty dollar!
    This way I'm charging a very fair price ($1.75/minute), making a very nice sum and everyone's happy. Overhead, one employee at $10/hr to run trimmer and blower. Yes that's a nice wage but will eb worth it to me I think. My brother is a very strong worker who doesn't quit till the job's done. He's 19 y.o., 6' 2", 175lbs. just out of boot camp (National Guard) so he has a good work attitude and is strong and knows endurance. Equipment, (should be by spring anyway, have 2 cycle stuff and push mower) is probably going to be a '00 eXmark 48" Turf Tracer HP (hydro floating deck w/b) with mulch kit and Jungle Wheels sulky, '92 John Deere 38" crank deck w/b (6 spd gear drive, floating deck) with mulch kit and Jungle Wheels sulky, mid 90's Lawn Boy 21" steel deck push mower, '02 Stihl FS80 trimmer, '00 Kawasaki KRB400A backpack blower, '00 Echo SRM2400SB split boom unit with ext. hedge clippers and am going to get an edger for it, and '00 Echo HCR1500 hedge trimmer, '98 6.5'x12' open trailer, and (until a later date when I can update) a '92 Ford E350 12 passenger van (same as a F250 or F350 underneath) to tow it all with. If I get larger properties and see a need for a larger mower I may get a 60" ZTR within a couple years. Also I will get insurance, pay my taxes, license the business, etc.

Thanks,
    Eric