career move. i could use some opinions and guidance

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grass disaster, May 14, 2008.

1. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

here is my situation.

i have about 40 lawn accounts.

i have a full time machinist job.
    (no day shift positions ever available) i work 2nd shift 2:30 to 1am. mon-thur, friday's off

easy job(easy for me since i've been here for a long time)
    pay is good
    good bonuses (got $8000 last year)
    5 weeks vacation, not a typo. i've been here 8 years and i get 5 weeks.

my current job allows me to mow from about 8am to 1pm mon-thur and 8am-5pm on fridays. i can knock out quite a few jobs in a week.

got married in november, wife can't stand me being on nights. she wants to see me more. i can understand her reasoning. all my other friends have "normal jobs".

i got a job offer from a nice shop about the same distance away from my home. day shift position 6-2:30 mon-fri.

$2 more an hour
    more difficult work
    slightly less 401k match
    not as good of medical ins
    3 weeks vacation, they were at 2 weeks but they can give me 3 they said.
    expanding shop. higher pay potential

i'm in limbo on what to do. i love mowing lawns during the day. my business has really been growing this year. to the point where i can't keep up. i also like where i'm working. if i take this day shift job i'm not sure i could get very many lawns done when i get home in the evening. i'd love to just mow lawns in the summer full time and find a part time machining job in the winter(i don't plow) my wife has a job and would cover our health insurance for now. she said in a couple year if we have kids that she doesn't want to work. i'm not sure my lawn business could support a family.

i'm not sure where the question is in all of this. i was just hoping maybe someone out there might have some advice or maybe can relate to my situation.

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

if you take the new job you might as well kiss your lawn business goodbye. its apparent the new wife wants you home and not cutting all evening. i'd take whichever job that makes life easier for you.(pleasing the wife). goodluck.

3. J.A.G LAWNCARE

J.A.G LAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

take the new job and make her mow with you when you get home that can be your time together , then after I knock her up she can stay home and you will need 2 work harder...

4. lawnwizards

what do you mean after "you" knock her up? what are you up to?

5. J.A.G LAWNCARE

just seeing if anyone reads lol

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

I would take the job to make wife happy. As far as mowing, might a good break, unless you can get wife interested in it. Then that can qualify as quality time.

7. J.A.G LAWNCARE

been a rain day in OHIO , been drinking some cold ones

8. lawnwizards

i hear ya about the rain. washed out my whole day. a cold one sounds good. thanks for the idea. :waving:

9. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

I would stay where you are at, you know your job, what's needed, etc....your new job might not be so easy.

I would explain to your wife, if you decide on kids, are you going to put them in daycare?

Your current hours will work to watch the kids.....I would make a list of PROs and CONs of both, once its on paper you will see which one makes better sense.

Plus new jobs are always stressful, and I don't think you want that in a new marraige.

You can make time for family.

10. grass disaster

grass disaster LawnSite Silver Member

she is persistent on me getting a day job. she doesn't care about how we would do the daycare thing.