1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Career or Temporary

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Expert Lawns, Aug 29, 2003.

Long term Lawncare goal

1. It's my career

59 vote(s)
  2. I'm in it temporarily

8 vote(s)
  3. Undecided

20 vote(s)
  1. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

Who is in the lawn game for a career and who is in it temporarily. I for one started out wanting to do this through college but now I am really enjoying it and would like to do this no matter what I decide to do after graduation. Maybe on the side, maybe full time. Not sure yet.
  2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I voted temporary only because I am part-time, but I want to go full-time someday. I will know when the time is right.

3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

I voted career. Wouldnt want to do anything else.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

my career...wouldn't want to do anything else.
  5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

i'm almost 20 years into it.my career until i retire..
  6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

I'm 18, it's easy work for good money, can't beat that. Atleast next year I'll get a new truck and pay for college. ANd who knows after that. I don't think my gf digs it that much, but atleast her boyfriend is loaded.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Career (9 years so far) or until something else better comes my way like winning the lottery...LOL
  8. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I am 17 and just bought a lazer and have started to pick up a couple lawns. When i talk about this business with relatives and even my teachers they all assume i am just doing this to make some money for a year or 2. They all look at me like i am crazy when i tell them i want to do this for the rest of my life. They're like 'You want to mow lawns for the rest of your life??" Heck i dont want to mow lawns forever. I'll leave that to the crews in a few years. What i really want to do is hardscapes. I have done a few walls for people and i had a great time doing it. I know that is where the money is. There is no reason why i can't turn my dream into reality and have a multi-millon dollor landscaping company.

9. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

I'm in for the long haul. I have been doign it part time for 5 years. Every weekend and 4 nights a week. I have one employee who works with me every day and service 38 properties a week. I sit in my office Monday thru Friday dreaming of cuttin some grass and doing research on new products. I hope to quit my current job in the next year and a half or so.

When is the best time to make that leap? Who knows, all I know is everything I own for my business I have paid cash for and hope to purchase a new Ferris mower at the top of next season. So when I do make that leap I'll owe nothing on my business. There will be nothing between me and the dollar but air and opportunity.

Oh, I am purchasing a second trailer next month and converting the current 5 x 12 into a leaf hauler with a vaccum custom built in the neck. Leaf season will be here before we know it.

10. nelson279

nelson279 LawnSite Member

I think it can be great for extra money. As a career I think you can make a living while you are young but the older the you get the harder it become. I would like to put my time somewhere where I can collect pension and retirement plan some day and do this for extra cash.
    It is also a very competitive business. I see too many people with no clue about profit charging very little money for mowing. Residential customers can be fussy and demanding and they they have too many cheaper choices.
    Another thing I hate to be at the mercy of the weather. Too wet can not cut. Too hot brown grass so can not cut.
    What about help using and abusing the equipment. Seems to be that help is very temporary. For most people is just a stepping stone unless you find someone that got problems and can not be hire by a company so they become grass cutter ..........