1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cargo trailers ???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by John Deere, Feb 21, 2001.

1. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

I'm getting set to buy my first enclosed trailer. We currently have three 20' utility trailers and one 12' foot dump trailer. I want to know from those of you out there that are using enclosed trailers what you like and what you don't like and what you might have done different. The one I am buying is a 22' Haulmark with a ramp door and a side door and is 83" wide. Thanks!
  2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i just got a 8 by 14 cargo pro enclosed trailer. i havent gotten to break it in yet because i picked it up right before winter. i can really only think of pros for having an enclosed trailer.
    -dont have to unload every night
    -can keep locked (out of sight, out of mind)
    -dont need a place to store the mowers
    -if you get caught in the rain, your set
    -can bring your whole shop with you
    -with 22 feet, you can haul a whole lot

haulmark makes a beefy trailer. i say go with it. check out kirbys web site. he has some nice pics of his trailer and set up. just make sure you can see good with mirrors. i had to buy mirror extenders.

[Edited by mdb landscaping on 02-21-2001 at 07:01 PM]
  3. CT18fireman

CT18fireman LawnSite Senior Member

The only downside I have found is visibility. It is a lot easier to back a trailer that you can see over. With a cargo you are backing with mirrors. It takes practice for many to get used to this.
  4. kountryscape

kountryscape LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Ok as far as storing anything in the trailer over night. I've heard of two guys getting reaped off. One was a contractor someone cut a hole in the side of the trailer with a cordless sawzall took everything in the trailer. Just think you pull up open the back door and all your stuff is gone,plus your trailers shot . The other one was they stored all the lawn care equipment in the trailer and some one drove off with it , never found it

so be careful with what you do.

5. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

One of the BEST purchases you will do. 1 added securety, 2 a rolling bill-board for your business, 3 save thousands of $$$$$ in labor and time from loading and unloading (you can save over $4000 a year plus) and much more. Smart business decision!
  6. John Deere

John Deere LawnSite Member

My thoughts exactly on a rolling billboard. Free advertising! Have any of you added any features to the inside or do you have any tips on what I should pick up for accesories i.e. tool holders or racks?
  7. Scotty

Scotty LawnSite Member

I've used open trailers for 16 years, last spring I bought a 20' x 8' Wells Cargo enclosed trailer. This was one of the best things I've purchased. I think the Wells Cargo trailer is built and finished nicer than the Haulmark. I order 5' tongue with a pintle hitch. This way you can pull it with a flatbed or dump without destorying the corners of the trailer. As far as racks go, I have trimmer, blower, air tank, belts, prunning shears, leaf plow and extension ladder for fall clean-ups, all hanging on the walls.

8. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I second what every one else said. I love mine.

I have a friend who has an enclosed trailer, it was stolen a few months ago but luckly it was recovered a few hours later. He only lost his trimmer and edger. Get good locks!
  9. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

The ONLY con I can think of is the cost difference between open and enclosed.
  10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I just bought a new 16ft open trailer. I definitly wanted a enclosed but the the 2 factors that kept me away from them the most were the fact that you cant use them for mulching (wich i do alot of) and you cant gas up your equipment at the pump with them. Enclosed trailers are alot more money but worth it if you will use the trailer strictly for mowing.