Cargo Van Setup

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Wesley Snips, Apr 13, 2014.

1. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

why not just get a haul style van, with dove tail ramp.

Why is there a need for the SRW van? is this something you already have? Is there a space or maneuverability issues?

If you want to use a SRW van, you could still have a ramp made to do this,
    Super lawn trucks will make you the ramp, probably cost about 2200 bucks.

Get a stand on unit like a Grandstand that will let you operate it by walking behind it… then you can walk it in and out like anything else.

3. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

or a walk behind period!

4. RedSox4Life

RedSox4Life LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I'm with this guy. Every time someone talks about using a van on here I'm reminded of the link from a few years ago where a guy got killed offloading a ride on spreader from the back of a van. He got pinched between the machine and the roof.

5. Wesley Snips

Wesley Snips LawnSite Member

Very useful advice. I contacted handyramp and they said their ramp would run my ~$800 which isn't too bad in my opinion compared to the cost/inconvenience of storage. The 12v winch link got me a little interested, too bad it got bad reviews.

To answer your question- I already owned this van, I would have went with a pickup otherwise.

Maybe I"m stubborn but I'm sold on this ramp + zero turn combo. I can leave it stored in there just as if it's a trailer.... But I will be careful and be sure to pull it into the van and not drive it. Thanks for the help

6. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

Why don't you sell the van and purchase a vehicle that is better suited for your needs?

7. ecurbthims

ecurbthims LawnSite Senior Member

You could install a power lift gate fairly cheaply ,I see them often for $500 used in the pick up truck size ,or you might be able to use a power wheelchair lift if they have enough capacity .

8. precision8m

precision8m LawnSite Senior Member

There's a guy in my area who uses a sprinter van with a 48" walker. He has a ramp built into it somehow. Seems like a pretty neat setup. He only works on smallish yards and does fertilization as well. If I didn't love trucks so much, I'd consider that setup.

9. Wesley Snips

Wesley Snips LawnSite Member

Just thought I'd follow up on this thread since I started it. I finally got everything together with my business and today I finally received my ztr and pulled it into the back of my van via a harbor freight winch. I think I may have broken the winch because the cable jumped outside its housing and started wrapping around the axle but other than that it pulled it in just fine!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Turned out real nice congrats!

What size deck is the mower?