Carhart pants:With padded knee's

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by CAPT Stream Rotar, Sep 30, 2007.

1. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

ok all...

This season(my third in this particular biz), I have decided to heed warnings of you old timers and take some physical precautions so I can last the many hard and painful rounds this trade has to offer.

So in that respect I actually wear gloves(when possible), use knee pads when installing/ servicing, and keep the ears protected when possible..

But the most valuable precaution I've taken this year is using the carhart pants with padded knee's..I love them....If I'm on a service call and need to hop on the ground real quick I do not hurt my body.. Also on muddy days they keep somewhat of a vapor barrier between my legs and the ground/mud, in turn keeping my legs warm on the chilly days..

So who else has used these?
    Who is thinking about it?
    For office guys like Krilil and ML I'm looking for stories about protecting your body "in your days"..

CSR

2. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Whenever possible, I am in shorts unless it is too cold. So no to the padded Carharts. I don't wear knee pads. My knees are not in the best shape, but I still don't wear them. I wear gloves occasionally, but only when doing copper work. I just can't wear gloves when fitting pipes together. I think I have lost a lot of feeling in my hands/fingers over the years and the gloves keep my from feeling the pipes and fittings properly.

Ear protection - yes. But a little late. too many rock concerts and mowing/trimming/blowing without them in the early 90s. Always wear them when blowing out systems.

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

I'm only an office guy in the mornings, I'm out in the field for the rest of the day until the sun sets.

Personally I hate knee pads, use gloves occasionally, don't use ear protection. :) Maybe that is why I'm deaf with bad knees and scared hands. ;)

I do however use pants that are either double knee or double front and are more or less white and always steel toed boots.

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

I wore pants this entire season in the hot sun,and always had steel toes on..
    Believe it or not i got used to wearing pants in hot heat and humidity (special thanks to Gold bond).

5. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

I wear shorts unless the temp is below 45. I just get wet too often to want to mess around with long pants. Gloves when plowing or digging, can't wear them when putting fittings together, just doesn't feel right. Steel toes all the time, hard hat on sites requiring them and knee pads for the first couple weeks of the season while my knee's "toughen up"; after that, I just kneel on my gloves.

6. I wear knee pads religiously. These are the best I've used by far. Get them at HD. Go on quick, can adjust strap, waterproof. I may try my flyfishing waders this winter. Shorts wearer in the summer. Pants are too hot and heavy.

DSC00482.jpg

DSC00483.jpg

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

Peter-a few questions.

do you strap both straps tight in the back of the knee?
    have you ever had any discomfort from the straps?

Ive seen guys wear those when finishing floors....they dont look half bad..

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Sexy leg. :) Did you just get out of bed and throw those on?

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

My knee pads have two straps, and when I do use them (I do on occasion) I use both straps.

What I don't like about them is they are damned uncomfortable, excessive sweating behind the straps, always having to pull the damn things up, and if I have them on for extended periods my leg starts to get chaffed from the combination of strap and sweat even with pants on.

These are the ones I am using now, and they work great if you can get past all the negative aspects of knee pads.

7398290.jpg

10. I cross the straps in the back. If I left them on all day I suspect discomfort would develop. Leave the strap a tad loose. I take them on and off 6-7 times a day. Keep them in my tote. By the way did you send those large totes? I could use the extra room.