Caring for new Kawasaki?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 10, 2004.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

OK guys, I have a new Kawasaki V-twin, w/standard air cleaner, only 4 hours logged so far. Any advice, tips, tricks for break in, adjustments and long term service?

So far all I've done is keep a close eye on the oil, crank it, reduce throttle and let it warm up at a lower RPM (hate unitized choke/throttle). Kick on the blades, crank it to full throttle and go mowing. I haven't even checked the default adjustments... nothing.

2. Fareway Lawncare

Fareway Lawncare LawnSite Silver Member
    from Canada

That filter collects dirt Like a Monster...Tap it Daily...I also use a Touch of oil on the Foam...Me Bad.

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Change your oil & filter pritty soon to remove break in oil. I thing air filter is of dry precleaner, if not, make sure to oil lightly so yur not sucking up a bunch of dust. Every thing else should be fine, its got hydraulic lifters and full throttle governed speed should be fine. Someone more familiar with Kaws may help if I missed anything. Good luck with her

4. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

yup.... Air filter is one of the big things on a Kaw. Ours plugs up all the time during clean-ups

5. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I would change the oil at 5-10 hrs, then run to about 25hrs and switch to synthetic oil of your choice. Then 50hr oil and filter services.

good luck

6. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, I've been considering upgrading it to a canister type filter. I've only used it 4 hours. But so far it's stayed clean.

I found it odd that the manual says NOT to oil the pre-cleaner. I was thinking of spraying it very lightly with an aerosol oil. But Someone told me they are too dense to oil. But I see that some of you are oiling them lightly.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Jim,

I was thinking of trying Mobil 1 10w30 in this engine, maybe. I knew you were supposed to log some hours and wait to change to synthetic, allowing time for the rings to seat, ect. So 25 hours is long enough to wait?

8. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

I've run Mobil1 10w30 from 5 hours on.

Runs great, no noticable oil consumption.

More and more new vehicles coming from factory with synthetic.
    Ford, Chevy, Mercedes, Porsche, etc. :drinkup:

9. Envy Lawn Service

I guess 25 hours is way plenty then.

On a side note, does your Tank have the crew boss hour meter? The one that displays engine RPM when running? If so, could you check your manual and get me a part #?

10. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been running Mobil 1 and Valvoline 10w30 from 5 hours on and no issues at all. I run full syn in all my equipment, cars, boat, etc.....