Carlisle super lug tires on Fastrack SD 23/48

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by zbruch, Jun 25, 2008.

1. zbruch

zbruch LawnSite Member

I have a new FT SD 23/48 and am mowing some pretty steep slopes (I just installed a ROPS, just in case). I am very satisfied with the performance, but would like as much traction as possible. Any issues with putting super lug tires on this machine? I am willing to deal with the grass being more easily tore up to have the better traction. Just wondering if this will cause any problems. Thanks

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

I would be very careful, lug tires give you a false sense of stability, steep slopes need to be considered for safety before mowing them.
    You could add extra stress to the hydros, in the way they would slip usually instead of grab with the added lug traction.
    What type of slope degree are we talking about here?

Pj

3. zbruch

zbruch LawnSite Member

Will the 8" rims off of a fastrack fit on my SD? I can only get the super lug tires in a 20/10/8. How much would the wheels cost? Any used ones around? Do you have any other suggestions on tires that would be more aggressive then the turf tread? Thanks

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

They will fit.
    I dont have any idea of used ones around, you would have to call some dealers.
    As to tires, I dont have any other recommondations, I would be concerned about the slopes you are mowing if you feel you need lug type tires.

Pj

5. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Dont know if they come in your size (and they probably dont) but have a look at the AT101 Carlisles.

6. zbruch

zbruch LawnSite Member

I put carlisle super lugs on quite a while back. They work great! Definately help in my hilly situation.