Carnivore

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by leadarrows, May 25, 2003.

1. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

A new FBI cyber-snooping device code-named "Carnivore" -- which can scan millions of e-mails a second and could already be scanning yours
    Carnivore is a hardware/software device the Federal Bureau of Investigation is already installing in Internet service providers' offices around the country.

Once in place, Carnivore scans every incoming and outgoing e-mail message on a network looking for telltale words or names, and saves those messages for later retrieval by law enforcement. It can also track instant messages, visits to websites, and Internet relay chat sessions. ( this is from July of 2000)

The Patriot Act -- which will be considered by the U.S. House Judiciary Committee on Wednesday october 2001 -- is the result of two weeks of closed-door negotiations between Congress and the Bush administration.

While the bipartisan compromise made some concessions to civil libertarian concerns, the bill:

* Gives any U.S. Attorney or state attorney general the power to install the Carnivore e-mail snooping system in "emergency situations" without obtaining a court order.

We are at code orange are we not?
    I know wrong thread so move it. I just thought every one here should know this and this thread has a better view.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I actually believe that they have been doing this for years and years. So it really doesn't scare me because I already think they have been watching us from the start. Heck, the government is the one that came up with the internet in the first place, so why wouldn't they montior it from the start.

3. leadarrows

leadarrows LawnSite Senior Member
    from N/A

I agree. I don't have any thing to be scared of but as part of this community if I feel I have information that might be useful to some then I feel I should post it that is all.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

thanks for the info though. It's much appreciated. At least you are letting people know instead of them finding out later.

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I think noone should be scared unless they are doing something wrong.

6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

so? I understand the creeping liberalism thing and the give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile thing but who is wrong and who is right on this issue?

freedom of speech is cool. freedom from unreasonable search and siezure is also cool. but how cool is terrorism?

I dunno which grenade to fall on here.

I personally think that all persons that are concerned about the scanning of their e-mail should either get off the NET or send messagas that appear to be coded but have no meaning. IE: how many times can you type OSAMA in an e-mail?

GEO

7. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

I've got nothing to hide..... If it prevents another 911 occurance I'm all for it.... and I am anything but a liberal.

8. turfguy

turfguy LawnSite Member

Maybe if carnivore were up and running some years ago maybe...just maybe....the twin towers would still be standing. And who knows what terible acts have already been prevented! I say hats off to all those poor underpaid guys at the fbi...ya never know maybe they are right here on this sight keeping us safe and sound right now

9. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

I too agree with the security. I have nothing to hide from, nor would I be scared if they were reading my emails. I bet they laugh at some of them like I do! :D

I do know they have had other programs running for a while which is fine.

I do find it pitiful that we have all these watch dogs around us looking for all this trouble.

Makes you wonder sometimes where is true freedom?

10. roscioli

roscioli LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds good to me.... i would also like it if they would stop some of the junk mail from coming in... for free of course. No email postage please.