1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Carpal tunnel and pistol grips, what to do

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Smitty58, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I have 2 Scag wb's which I love ,but the kill my hands. Maybe I'm just getting old but I've developed carpal tunnel in my left hand. I've been thinking about selling the wb's and going to something else. I got to thinking about the way the Quick 36 and 44 work. Are they easier on the hands to operate? I would love to just jump into a big bad ztr ,but I really don't cut all that much because I do more hardscaping.
  2. windsory

windsory LawnSite Member

Scag has a new V type control out this year and exmark and Toro have the ECS and T-bar controls. Look into them.
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They can operate on your hands/wrist but almost any doctor will tell you to stop doing what your doing. Hey it's your body. It's not worth it. Go to something totally different. A ZTR would be a small price to pay to take care of your health.

I'm not totally ruling out a different kind of WB but chances are you will always have problems. Test drive some different grips but in the long run you need to do something different. Or your condition will keep coming back.
  4. Smitty58

I did check out the new Scag v-pro it looks sweet. It's also over 6k ,so if I'm going to spend that kind of money I'd rather ride. I have also used and Exmark which is a little different (ECS) than the regular pistol grips. I am wondering though about the single hydro wb's. They don't do anything with the left hand do they? Looks like it would be easier on the hands ,but I've never used one.

CLARK LAWN LawnSite Silver Member

6. joshco84

joshco84 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah toro t bar is what you are looking for, no squeezing involved.

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

The QUICKS are pretty easy on the hands. IMHO
  8. Smitty58

Thanks, I'm convinced that the pistol's gotta go. I listed both mowers for sale ,and I think I'll but 2 Quick mowers. Maybe a 44 and either a 36 or a 32.
    I'm going to post pics of the Scags tomorrow.
  9. IN2MOWN

IN2MOWN LawnSite Platinum Member

Try a stander style mower. I used pistols for 14 years. The damage is permanent now but the least I can do is stop it before it gets worse.
  10. Turf Commando

Turf Commando LawnSite Bronze Member

Once Carpal Tunnel takes over, your wrist is over...