Carpal Tunnel Surgery

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Haggerty, Mar 15, 2003.

1. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Dave

So how are you feeling now?

And what do you think (mowing?) was the cause of the Carpal Tunnel?

2. yardman1

yardman1 LawnSite Senior Member

Dave, hope it helps, I need to have it done on both of my hands, but time is a factor with me. My sister had it done about three years ago and she has not had any problems at all.

Kevin

3. My hands feel normal. A little tender in the palms.

I'm sure mowing was a big factor in getting carpal tunnel. Especially operating the stick steer mowers with one hand.
    But it's probably mostly age. I'm 56 I have a wood shop, a welder, etc. Always busy with my hands, so I'd have it no matter what career I was in.

At the Hand Center they said Carpal Tunnel Release is the most common surgical procedure in America today.

Yardman

I was concerned about "downtime" too so I scheduled it in the winter. I didn't take in to account the doctor's schedule. It took a couple of months from the time I first contacted them to having the surgery performed.
    But I'll be good to go on April 1 when the grass starts here in Ohio.

Thanks for your comments and concerns.

dave

4. millerjjr

millerjjr LawnSite Member

Hey Dave thanks for the advice. Glad you're better and will be good-to-go come April.

5. socty

socty LawnSite Member

You may want to consider getting a nice new zero turn like my Gravely 250z. My 6 year-old daughter could steer that thing if I was crazy enough to let her. Just an easy push of the steering sticks and it's turning on a dime.

I stopped using my walkbehinds because I was getting carpal tunnel pain every day. Now, it's almost gone. However, I do seem to be developing some sort of elbow problem. I'm 43, so I guess it's par for the course. Good luck with your recovery!

6. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

For you guys who say it's par for the course w/getting older... we all have to remember one thing:

Getting older beats the alternative!;)

Very cool of you to post that link and share your experience with all of us!

Best of luck in the coming season!

7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow, that surgery looks so easy and pain free I think I'm going to go out and buy a pistol grip mower! : )

Just kidding, of course. But I do try to do everything I can to save wear and tear on my body. Lazer Z for the knees, T-bar steering on the wb's for the wrists and hands, headphone ear protection, safety glasses, and a hat for the skin.

8. Mike Bradbury

Mike Bradbury LawnSite Senior Member

There are problems with this surgery. There is a website for people that have had problems, and there are a LOT of them!
    Severed nerves resulting in permanent burning or numbness. Loss of feeling in the fingers. And the most common - numbness returning after going back to work or hobby that affects the area.
    There is also some loss of stability to the wrist with certain positions and movements.
    I've needed it for 7 or 8 years but haven't been willing to do it yet. I keep hoping they'll come up with a new treatment or surgery as they are doing the same thing they did 10 years ago. Most other common problems have evolved newer treatments.
    It is also the most researched malady in the country as it's epidemic in manufacturing. I got mine from 5 years of building tires in a Michelin tire plant, but any heavy hand use flares it up real good. Going to try to be more preventive this year, braces at night, ice wraps after work to keep the swelling under control.

As always, cutting as a LAST resort :)

9. CHAN

CHAN LawnSite Member
    from AL.

A lot of people are treated for this in surgery and that is not the problem at all. They then have the problem reoccur after a short period of time. My wife was having problems and it got worse this it was affecting her entire arm going to sleep and numbness inthe fingers. The doctors wanted to do the surgery for corpal tunel and I told her lets go to Hougston Clinic and let them check it and they told her after doing a CT that it was not that but a pinched nerve in her neck. They did surgery and replaced joints 4and 5 and no more problem. The doctor there said they do about 10 a day of these and hardly ever see copal tunel. The problem is that the other surgery is a money maker for the other doctors and easy to say that is what it is. I not saying that a lot of people doesnt have corpel tunel but to get a second opion on it before surgery even if you have to drive a few miles to get it.