carpal tunnel syndrome

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ned5485, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I have only used my 2 scag WB's. But, I have managed to develop carpal tunnel syndrome (cts). For several of my account wb's are necessary. Anyway, the scag handles are killing my hands. I was wondering if anybody had a suggestion on alternative brands that might be more user friendly? I saw a snapper that seemed like it would be easier to maneuver, but have not demoed anything yet. What do you guys think?

Thanks

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

The t-bar system toro has is much easier on you. I beleive snapper is similar to the toro, and exmark has the eds system that is better. I have gotton that alsoand its not fun.

3. Jake's Lawn Service

Jake's Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Try the exmark ECS
    Jake

4. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

take vitiman b12 this does help

5. abcfamily

abcfamily LawnSite Member

I also battle c.t.s. I just purchased an Exmark with E.C.S. and have no problems with using it.
    But I wear a good work glove especially when trimming to help absorb some of the vibration. This will help alot!! Also have started taking vitamin B-6 was told it will help also, down side to that is it may take a few months to notice a difference. Also when you sleep at night if you allow your hands to bend inwards while sleeping that is bad!!! They make wraps to wear to keep wrists straight, check drug store!!!
    Good luck.

6. unit28

unit28 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have the snapper mid size hydro with the loop handles.
    It kills my hands and arms. Stay away from it....period.

7. I think you guys with carpal tunnel better do a search on carpal tunel and find out how advanced your case is.

You can get the surgery for the price of a cheap WB. Mine cost me $1,700. That was 4 years ago, and WB's, line trimmers, or Harley-Davidsons are not a problem.

A surgeon told me the worse thing about all of the creams, lotions, potions, and splints are that they may allow a person to put off actually fixing the problem until after permanent nerve damage is done. Better check it out wile you can still wipe your own butt. JMHO

8. robbo521

robbo521 LawnSite Senior Member

i had surgery 4 weeks ago.please dont put it off.mine is better but i may have lost the use of one finger due to nerve damage and they cant fix it.lot of people just go with it and try all the stuff on the market to fix it and it aint going to work.have a doc fix it.you will love it.

9. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thanks for the responses. I thought my hand muscles just needed to get used to the triggers. But, I mentioned it to my doc while getting a checkup. He said I just needed to wear splints/supports while I sleep and work. Problem is it hurts worse to mow with those things on than off. And have not slept all that well either. They flat suck! Day 2 I had to either quit halfway through my 3rd yard or take em off. Well, I didnt quit. I am just hoping I can find a brand/system that will be less stressful.

10. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

You guys that had the surgery, how long before you could mow again?