1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Carpal Tunnel & Walker Mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by b & t lawn care, Jul 18, 2003.

1. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

New user here. Been a background reader awhile tho. Husband & wife team. We run a Walker GHS 56 SD & Great Dane Chariot Junior 52'. Question is......wife runs the Walker exclusively. Been diagnosed with Carpal Tunnel. Put in brace & told not to use left hand. Been using right hand and showing up with same symptoms in the right. Is the Walker the cause we ask? Any one else experiencing this or have already? :confused:
  2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Not me. I have had a Walker since 1998 and have no ill effects from operating it. Well near 1500 hours of use out of 2 machines. Sorry to hear that.
  3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

I have had problems with my left wrist for years. However it was broken three times during high school football! Think that has anything to do with it?:D
  4. Doc Pete

Doc Pete LawnSite Gold Member

Have you checked the internet and made sure you have the correct symptoms??? Remember everyone is different, so don’t listen to those that can run a Jack hammer for 15 hours a day and feel fine. It’s very possible the mower is the cause. Repetition, gripping, squeezing, holding and vibration all can cause the problem. My wife is going through the whole thing as we speak. What did her in was 2 years of undiagnosed lyme that just beat the heck out her body. Then, just writing, using the computer and the mouse did the rest.
    The wife just had the operation 4 weeks ago. I'd be glad to talk to you about what to expect.
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, constant pressure pulling back the levers will cause nerve problems. The Walker is worse because you only use a couple of fingers to steer.I have problems with my left hand .

6. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

Please check out my website for more info on carpal tunnel syndrome, etc. -

All kinds of machinery can cause such problems. But the real cause is the pre-exsiting deep chronic muscular tension - we all have some. Some people will have no problems using a particular mower or a keyboard all day and another person may become crippled from it.

Probably best for her not to continue using this machine. Also best to get out of the brace and stay away from the doctors! If she really wanted to be able to do the work it would be possible to become able to but it might take awhile and would not be easy.

DO NOT CONSIDER SURGERY!!!!! (I know all about this and can explain it in detail)

Please get this book right away -
    Conquering Carpal Tunnel Syndrome and Other Repetitive Strain Injuries by Sharon Butler. Can be ordered at any bookstore or from Amazon.com. This will explain everything and give info on how to recover quickly. (I acquired MANY books on this - this is by far the best and the only one you really need)

I spent 2 years studying this VERY deeply and have learned a lot about it. You are welcome to contact me for more info.....

7. Bruce

Bruce LawnSite Member
    from MN

B&T are you around Brainerd the name sounds familiar? I run a walker and have pain in my left wrist after a few hours.
  8. b & t lawn care

b & t lawn care LawnSite Member

Bruce, Hey Neighbor competitor...lol Yes we are in brainerd. I guess I don't feel so depressed now thinking that I'm not the only one feeling this "pain". Love my Walker, but think this is one thing that they could improve on.