Carpenter Ants are ignoring the bait

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by RonH56 green, Jul 5, 2007.

1. RonH56 green

RonH56 green LawnSite Member

I am using Advance Carpenter Ant bait and it seems that they are ignoring the bait. I have applied on the ground where they are going up the wall. You can see their path across the top of the wall. I have taped business cards on the side of the wall directly in their path with Advance Carpenter Ant bait and it seems like the first day you can see them taking the bait back to their nest. After several days they go past the bait and ignore it. Is there a better bait, and does the bait loose it appeal after it has been outside for a vew days?

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

RonH56 green

Baits can and do go bad. Keeping them in your trucks for a few days in summer heat will lose there attractant. Try a fresh bait and see if the Carpenter ants don't go for it. Always store your baits of all kinds in a cool dry place to keep them fresh. I leave my baits at home inside the air conditioning until I need them. Of course Baits take 4 to 6 weeks to get in the food chain and gain control.

3. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

i never had any luck with advance products on carpenter ants, they may work but not for me. i use maxforce carpenter ant bait, i get very good results with that. the package says not to store above 100 degrees so you might have to take that into consideration when putting it out (like servicing the account at the end of the day/evening). i typically see results from baiting in 2-3 days.

4. Greg Amann

Greg Amann LawnSite Member

I have never found an effective carpenter ant bait that they would readily accept.
    We do a perimeter treatment to all labeled exterior areas of the structure with Termidor and never have a call back. I tell the customer to give it one week.

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Greg

Before Termidor I used MaxiForce Carpenter Ant Bait with great success. I gave the Customer the opposition of Bait or me charging to crawl the attic. The price different was such that I didn't crawl many attics. Yes I saw decline in several days but it took 6 weeks to gain total control. By selling the customer hard on the Idea of Slow acting pesticides to gain total control I save a lot of call backs. There were a few times Baits didn't work and I got paid well for crawling.

Cyper and Premise mixed are another great ant treatment. However for those not in the business, becomes an expense way to do one house.

6. et903usa

et903usa LawnSite Member

I've had good luck with Terro

7. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

there are over 100 differant species of carpenter ants in the u.s. (i think there are 13 that invade structures)- so i would suspect that they would have differant feeding habits in differant parts of the country and these may change depending on the time of year. sometimes you can get samples from venders or manufactures, i'm sure if you tried several products you'd find one or two that works consistantly in your area. as a rule with my services i try to incorporate more than one control strategy at a time - i.e. multiple baits or a bait and liquid treatment

8. RonH56 green

RonH56 green LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise. Is the Maxforce product you have had the best success with a gel product?

9. seaweed

seaweed LawnSite Member

i haven't tried every product out there and certainly there are days when the ants snub their nose at the maxforce bait; however, my success rate would be about 90%; another company that tracks numbers very closely reported 96% success. it's somewhat runny so i put on a small piece of plastic otherwise it will get obsorbed quickly by whatever you put it on.