1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Carpet junipers spread rate

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Markf, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Markf

Markf LawnSite Senior Member

We need a little help. We have been requested by a client to cover 500 sq. ft. with a form of carpet junipers. I would like to present him with a quote of one gallon and three gallon plants. He would like the entire area covered by the plants within two to three years. How many plants are required at what spacing or what is the average coverage rate per plant per year. We are in zone 6. Thank you for your input.
  2. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

depends on what cultivar your going to use some are faster than others.I would stagger plant them at 3'to4' apart to fill in within his time frame.
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Can you talk him out of it?

Seems like people are always having junipers removed after about 10 years.

And its a huge pain to remove them.

They do make good ground cover, but they get out of control, and they end up with huge root sytems.

Regardless, I make money pulling them out :)
  4. cedarcroft

cedarcroft LawnSite Senior Member

I am doing the exact same thing for a customer and in my research with a few different nurseries, I have found the 36" aprt should be good. they will be close enough to look good now, and should grow "carpet like" within a few years. I am in zone 7.
  5. Markf

Thanks for the replies. This is what the client wants. I'll let you know how it works out.
  6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

They also are a shrub that bursts into flame if there is a wildfire that's gotten close to your house
  7. Guthrie&Co

Guthrie&Co LawnSite Senior Member
    from nc

i think that would be the last of my worries if a wildfire was coming my way.
  8. Markf

Bottom line. The cost at this time was too much. We will instead put a layer of mulch in the area to make it look presentable and move on the project in the fall. On to the next quote. payup