carrier racks

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by klsgc, Nov 14, 2009.

1. klsgc

klsgc LawnSite Member

This is a very simple question here. I don't need Larry telling me that the T3k is awesome because it can fit on a carrier rack. Well, so can every other machine. I've seen it done. What I'm wondering is if you are using a rack when going down the road, do you need to use a hopper cover to keep the wind from blowing the fert out of the hopper?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2009
  2. amerigreen

amerigreen LawnSite Member
    from mn

Yes, the fertilizer will blow out at higher speeds. The biggest problem is when you hit a bump in the road with the hopper close to full, it can be a mess.

3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

with the price of fertilizer you gotta use a hopper cover.... or you see little $$ flying out when you go over 40mph!!!!

4. Josh.S

Josh.S LawnSite Bronze Member

Normally I keep less than 100lbs of fert in my hopper (which is a spyker 220) so I don't really need the hopper cover for driving around town or anything. When I get on the highway or something I'll throw it on, don't really know if I need to though or not.

5. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

YES

That is a very good idea~!

6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

I always keep the covers on.

7. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I would cover any fert container to cut down on the time spent chatting with local and state employees. Plus it saves money in lost fert.

8. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

The T3000 is NOT "awesome" merely because it can easily be transported on a carrier rack. (I know of at least seven T3000's being used in my town).

Some LCO's used to run PG's, Z's, etc, yet many in my state are changing over to T's. And it's not just because of carrier rack capabilities.

Question: You say "every other machine" can be (safely):confused: transported on a carrier rack.......Which ones? Which units do you have experience with?

Asking if a spreader cover is a good thing...........:confused:

Not trying to pick on you, but our Spyker spreaders have never lost a cover while driving at interstate speeds. And I don't care what brand of ride-on or push spreader one is using. IMO Spykers rule. Been running Spykers for over ten years.

BTW I don't "need" you either. I never told you what to do. Dig your own grave due to your lack of experience. :usflag:

9. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

always use a cover always

10. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

its definately good practice to keep a hopper cover on all the time,
    i learned the hard way in my early years, hit a pot hole and about 100 lbs of fert went
    everywhere

i also secure the turn on linkage, flow control, gate opening or whatever you wanna call it
    to keep it from kicking on during transport