carry a flashlighjt on your keychain !

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by David Gretzmier, Aug 2, 2010.

1. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

just thought I would pass this along, tonight I sold 4 more add on lights to a job finished today merely by using a flashlight on my keychain, and holding it in place while the customer looked at the effect. mine is a simple 10440 ( lithium rechargable aaa ) powered titanium light, around 50 bucks, with a cree xpg LED that I had swapped ( via candlepowerforums.com ) for a warmer, maybe 3500k tint xpg LED. on high I get about 230 lumens, and a fairly close replica of a 20 watt 60 degree halogen.

I have sold a few dozen this way over the years, but I am not sure we have ever discussed this in the forum.

2. fastpine

fastpine LawnSite Member

Why would anyone be at the customers house after dark?..

3. Fireguy97

Fireguy97 LawnSite Senior Member

Do your clients want their landscape lights on only during the day? Are you that good of a sales person that they can 'see' how the lights will look during the day?

Mick

4. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I have sold many add on fixtures using my ASP led tactical flashlight which I carry with me in a very small holster. It is very small but powerful.

5. fastpine

fastpine LawnSite Member

No, but that doesent mean you have to install them in the dark. As far as pitching landscape lighting and how it typicaly looks. I have plenty of catalogues, and pictures that will show a replication of the desired effect. Sides, who doesent have enough imagination to visualize what some low voltage lights would do, especially after seeing a coupple catalogue flicks?

6. The Lighting Geek

The Lighting Geek LawnSite Senior Member

I spend many a night in the landscape with my clients. Most people who need landscape lighting need help visualizing. A catalog can help but showing them pictures of your work or demonstrating the effect is best. Catalogs usually result in customers trying to pick the fixture. I win most of the bids when the other guy produces a catalog, even if I am the highest bidder. Giving a catalog to a client is like giving them a catalog of car parts and asking them to build a car.

Now back to flashlights...LOL

7. Fireguy97

Who said anything about installing in the dark? To me, it sounds like David finished the job during the day, walked through the finished job with the client, (at night) and with his flashlight sold four more add on lights.

From the sounds of it, you have never taken a professional sales course, or read anything about sales. If you had, you would have learned that there are four or five different types of client/buyers. A good sales person will be able to differentiate between them and sell to their 'type'. You don't know what type this person is, I don’t. David does, and from the sounds of it, he was successful with an add-on sale.

Fastp, how did you figure that your catalogs would show this client what these additional tree(s)/shrubs would look like (at night) with the rest of his landscape highlighted in the background?

Mick

8. Fireguy97

Nicely put!

Mick

9. Southernlandscape343

Southernlandscape343 LawnSite Member

I bought a rechargeable LI-on Tactical flashlight from Northern Tool and have had great luck with it. It comes with a clip for your pocket or belt, along with charger for $50. Personally I feel that this flashlight is better than some of the surefire flashlights. This small flashlight puts out 140 Lumens!

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200395696_200395696

10. fastpine

fastpine LawnSite Member

By reading 10 sentences from me you make a rediculous, rude, assumption that I know nothing about sales,,excuse me while I search for the smiley face jerking his di ck...

Im not going to argue with you mick,,just chalk it up to a difference in oppinion. Just dont be rude while replying to my simple question..

Now maby you can answer the original question I asked....Why on earth would a contractor, or a customer decide to do a landscape walkthrough at night?..

After the sun sets its dinner time,,customers dont want their landscaper around then,,after dinner is family time,,and the same applys.

Im dying for an explanation.....

Last edited: Aug 3, 2010