Carry-Along Saw?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Daves Propert Maintenance, Dec 17, 2006.

1. Daves Propert Maintenance

Daves Propert Maintenance LawnSite Member
    from USA

What's the best chain saw to carry along with the trailer?

I currently bring a handsaw along, but I want to move up to a gas chainsaw. This is mainly to cut up downed branches and limbs, with the occaisional dropping of a tree. I use it on everyday jobs and after storms to clean up the yard, and at the same time, fit the debris in the truck.

What saw do you use?
  2. mikes landscaping

mikes landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from kansas

stihl wood boss all the way
  3. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

I would look into the Husky 55 Rancher, that would make you a great saw for what you want.
  4. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

every day use ms 200 series from stihl.
    Ocasionally ms 180 from stihl 16-18" bar. Small and light with decent power. No monster but gets the job done fast and easy. Reasonably priced also.
  5. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

My first year in the biz (going on my 5th year) I bought an Echo 305 chainsaw. I think its their smallest, 14" bar, 30 cc. It has been great. Very reliable. No trouble at all. May sit unused for a couple of months and then when I need it, it starts right up and does the problems!

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE LawnSite Bronze Member

Shindiawa 357 you can run the saw with one hand.
  7. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

I've always bought Poulans when they are on sale at Canadian Tire I use them once or twice in two years then sell them for half of regular price in the local Trader magazine. A couple of months ago I bought the samll Stihl and can't believe the difference in running it over the Poulans. Of course the price was much higher but I'm sure it will last longer too. I was going to get a bigger one but for what I do the small one is nice and light. I don't cut alot but when I do if it doesn't start on the first or second pull I buy a new one and sell the old one. I can't believe what people will pay for a slightly used saw.
  8. Mowgli

Mowgli LawnSite Member

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

MAN, I want one of those..Of all the saws I have, I don't have a top handle.
  10. pcarlson1911

pcarlson1911 LawnSite Member

Both are sthil. I started out with an 025 wich is a decent saw in the homeowner grade. I recently moved up to a MS260. The 260 is a great saw. I highly reccomend it. 18" bar, enough power that I have never boggged it down while cutting properly.I personally belive that having the right saw forthe job enhances safet tremendously with these dandgerous tools. In addition, I also believe that any time there is one saw on a jobsite, there should e two. It only takes a few seconds of mis calculation to start a cut that traps your saw. That is when the secod saw comesinto play.

The problem I have with the 025 (now the 250) and the 260 is that because one is a homeowner and the other is a commercial they donot share parts. Despite the fact that I run the same bar length on each, the bars and the chains are not interchangeble. I wish I had 2 260's.

Buy more than one chain. If I have a full day of cutting I will go through 4 chains easily. I figure 2 hours of work per chain. This varies based on the wood you are cutting.

my next saw will be a sthil 180. Great saw for climbing and limbing.

I love running saws, can you tell.