Carry spare spark plugs as back up.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gr grass n Hi tides, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

So I'm in the middle of cutting when I notice a reduction in my mower's rpm, starts to sputter a little, and puffs of black smoke are coming from the muffler.

I immediately throttle down, dis-engage, check under the deck & all other visuals I can perform - all is fine. So, I load up and go straight to the local service center.

Turned out to be just a fouled spark plug. The mechanic had it solved in 10 minutes. I don't know if any of you have experienced similar problems, but I now have an extra set of plugs in my truck in case I see these symptoms again.

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I always have just had them back at the shop, never carry with me though. I might start doing so

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Plugs for everything are kept in the truck toolbox. The last thing you need is to waste time on a $2 item.

4. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

How true, how true.
    Might also think about extra belt(s). Alot of dealers give breaks (dicount pricing) to guys who buy "stock" parts at the first of the year

5. Gr grass n Hi tides

Roger that. Somehow, I also lost a click pin off one of my front caster wheels so I went ahead and got a couple extra of those too.

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Never carried extra spark plugs.

Our machines are regularly serviced.

Don't want the men being tail gate mechanics

7. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

Me too, I carry tires, and all belts and just about every other thing I can think of.

8. MP350

MP350 LawnSite Member

I find if something fails once it will probably fail again at some point. So I try to carry a spare of what ever failed, don't like to waste time running for parts.

9. Gr grass n Hi tides

I grease, oil change, clean air filters, and wash/blow my machines off on a regular basis. My mowers were bought brand new this spring. According to the mechanic..........."this was just one of those things, a bad/fouled spark plug no rhyme or reason to it."

That's why I'll be carrying spares with me from here on out - a 5 min. fix @ $4.00 investment vs. even 1 hr. down time = wise idea.

I guess I could add spark plug change every "x" weeks to the list too; however, even a new one could foul so the spares stay on the truck.

I didn't know before the mechanic showed me, but comparing the good plug to the bad one.........the bad one was "wet" with fuel because it wasn't firing. So, if ya'll see these signs you might be able to save yourselves a bunch of time and stress with an easy fix.

10. Gr grass n Hi tides

I eliminated part of the tire problem by putting foam "care free" tires on the front casters and the sulky & I love them.