Lawn Care Forum banner

Carrying concealed while working

38K views 172 replies 60 participants last post by  TPendagast 
#1 ·
I have been pondering the thought of carrying concealed while working. I have over $60k in tools and equipment in my trailer. Last month while mowing, I found someone in my trailer about to steal something. Today was the deciding point to carry at all times since I live only 30 minutes from the Newtown School shooting.

My question is who carries concealed while working and what is a good gun to carry that will stand up to the dirt and dust associated with landscaping/mowing and is small and comfortable enough to have while working?

#2 ·
I personally have never dealt with one but a few friends do construction and they like to carry a bodyguard 380 and he said he loves it. Small and compact. Built in laser also. Kinda cool.
Posted via Mobile Device

#10 ·
ill be carrying when i turn 21 with what happened today and over the past months. This past year i was cutting in chester pa for those of you who know what that is. I left my shotgun in my truck just incase(chester is like a mini philadelphia always shootings)

#13 ·
i plan to take a class next week for cwp, and will start carrying asap. we haven't had much of an issue up my way yet, there have been some shootings but usually gang related, but with this kinda crap, my mind is made up to carry. I think it should be mandatory for all teachers to have cwp and carry, of course this will probably never actually happen but its probably the only way to prevent this stuff, or have a police officer at every entrance of a school but that won't happen either.

#15 ·
I'm all about owning guns and carrying them. I own a sig p229, a glock 40 cal and a sig 556 pistol.

but I don't think it should ever be mandatory for anyone but law enforcement and military to carry weapons. no matter where you are.

really, teachers, mandatory to carry a gun......:hammerhead:

#16 ·
I'm all about owning guns and carrying them. I own a sig p229, a glock 40 cal and a sig 556 pistol.

but I don't think it should ever be mandatory for anyone but law enforcement and military to carry weapons. no matter where you are.

really, teachers, mandatory to carry a gun......:hammerhead:
yes teachers.....as long as they are educated on guns, and how to use them, they would probably agree....it won't ever happen so you can settle right down.

#17 ·
I got my CCP a few years back but never or rarely carried. I have lived in Newark, parts of NYC, and other rough areas and always thought I was hyper aware of my surroundings because of this.

I got robbed and pistol whipped by some blacks last year for 3 dollars and an old Blackberry. Honestly, if I was carrying it would have not done any good except get the gun stolen. They came out of nowhere and I was fiddling with the radio in my friends driveway which was pitch black.

I do carry now though. I have said this before, but handhelds make great pawn items and are easy to get rid of off the internet.

#18 ·
I don't think it's reasonable for every teacher to carry a gun, but at least one person I would say someone in administration probably a male that is at the school during classes to have access to a weapon not neccesarily carry it but at least have quick access, yes there would need to be training involved, but I think our children are worth it.

#19 ·
I don't think it's reasonable for every teacher to carry a gun, but at least one person I would say someone in administration probably a male that is at the school during classes to have access to a weapon not neccesarily carry it but at least have quick access, yes there would need to be training involved, but I think our children are worth it.
i don't think it is reasonable for every teacher to carry a gun either, but it is one of the few ways to help stop things like this from happening, a metal detector with a police officer or even two at the main entrance and security at the other entrances wouldn't be a bad idea, but probably won't happen. they already have a few police at bigger schools around here. And it helps a lot, but to have a police officer or officers at every school is going to cost a lot of money, again its not likely there will be a police officer at every school for a long time or ever even, but that would help a lot.

#20 ·
teachers carrying could be extremely good thing but would have to be extremely careful and on their toes at all times that a kid could never get ahold of it or see it imo

#23 · (Edited)
Lets leave the teachers aside for a second...

Do you think the thief or thieves have any intention of allowing you to use that pistol on them?
Even if they accidentally let you get one in, you shoot and the thief dies, you go to prison.

It is very simple, you only intended to shoot the thief in the leg but you accidentally hit the main artery and within minutes the thief is dead, you may think you were in the right but the thief may have had family in some cases wealthy and you have to hope now the lawyers and the judge have mercy on you, in many states vigilante justice is not well tolerated.

Do you think they even intend to be in your line of sight when they plan on stealing from you?
The simple answer is no, and chances are great those pistols will not help you.
Here is what I found out recently when my phone got stolen...
Your equipment is still at risk.

Yes, I was in the back yard, all the guns in the world do little good when the truck isn't in sight.

When I called the police to file a report, one thing stood out:
You NEED the SERIAL NUMBER of the item that got taken!
Without this serial number the police can not (and most likely will not) file a report.
Even if an inexperienced officer does file it, the chances of getting your stuff back without said SERIAL NUMBER are nil.
Your stuff, and 100's other just like it, no serial number, no report, no recovery.

That is the main reason why most of the time when something is stolen from an LCO and they call the police, nothing happens.
Because the LCO doesn't have or is otherwise unable to provide to the police the SERIAL NUMBER of the stolen item.

You want to get back at thieves, then keep a detailed record of the SERIAL NUMBER of every thing you own, every saw, every trimmer, every mower, your phone, your computer, every single thing.
Keep this record in a safe place.

And when something is taken from you, at least you have that serial number so you can file the report.

Then let the police do their job.
That is who is in charge of those things.
Not these pistoleros, when something is stolen all these gun toting machos won't be around then, oh no, they talk all hot and shot here but just you wait, now get those serial numbers on record because it's just you and the police.

#24 ·
may not help with theft when you can't see it no that is a given. It will help when the intruder breaks into your shop in the night and sets the alarm off. My shop is next to my house so once again if not then no it will not help. It will also help if the person decides to break into your house and threaten your family. Or your in a public place and a shooter enters and opens fire

#25 ·
The liberals in Washington are already using this tragedy to start pushing more gun control laws. The gun control laws that make it illegal for a citizen with a legal CCW permit that works in a public school to carry a gun in their workplace make that a very convenient place for this sick people to commit these crimes. It's illegal to murder, but it didn't stop this guy today. Anyone that thinks making guns illegal would stop these guys is absolutely stupid. I agree it should never be mandatory for anyone to carry a weapon in the schools. But it shouldn't be illegal for staff, parents, and other law abiding adults that are licensed to carry to have their gun on them in these schools. It may or may not deter these people from starting the rampage, but if it stops the rampage one or two or 28 lives sooner, it's worth it to have armed citizens on campus.

#26 ·
Lets leave the teachers aside for a second...

Do you think the thief or thieves have any intention of allowing you to use that pistol on them?
Even if they accidentally let you get one in, you shoot and the thief dies, you go to prison.

It is very simple, you only intended to shoot the thief in the leg but you accidentally hit the main artery and within minutes the thief is dead, you may think you were in the right but the thief may have had family in some cases wealthy and you have to hope now the lawyers and the judge have mercy on you, in many states vigilante justice is not well tolerated

Do you think they even intend to be in your line of sight when they plan on stealing from you?
The simple answer is no, and chances are great those pistols will not help you.
Here is what I found out recently when my phone got stolen...
Your equipment is still at risk.

Yes, I was in the back yard, all the guns in the world do little good when the truck isn't in sight.

When I called the police to file a report, one thing stood out:
You NEED the SERIAL NUMBER of the item that got taken!
Without this serial number the police can not (and most likely will not) file a report.
Even if an inexperienced officer does file it, the chances of getting your stuff back without said SERIAL NUMBER are nil.
Your stuff, and 100's other just like it, no serial number, no report, no recovery.

That is the main reason why most of the time when something is stolen from an LCO and they call the police, nothing happens.
Because the LCO doesn't have or is otherwise unable to provide to the police the SERIAL NUMBER of the stolen item.

You want to get back at thieves, then keep a detailed record of the SERIAL NUMBER of every thing you own, every saw, every trimmer, every mower, your phone, your computer, every single thing.
Keep this record in a safe place.

And when something is taken from you, at least you have that serial number so you can file the report.

Then let the police do their job.
That is who is in charge of those things.
Not these pistoleros, when something is stolen all these gun toting machos won't be around then, oh no, they talk all hot and shot here but just you wait, now get those serial numbers on record because it's just you and the police.
you are absolutely right, criminals have more rights then someone saving many lives, in our wonderful court system everything is so screwed up these days that IF one of the teachers did legally carry a gun and it was fully legal to have it in the school, he or she would probably still end up going to jail.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.