1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Carrying Pallets in the Trailer???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by slapshotmike24, Oct 2, 2004.

1. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 LawnSite Member

I was wondering how and if you guys carry pallets of salt, bricks, sod, etc in your trailers. So far I just carry them in my dads dump trailer (it has a removable gate) but I am getting a 6x12 this week and wondering how I can carry pallets with the landscape gate? I was thinking about making one of the sides fold down so the forklift can lay it flat, but i dont know. Any input would be great. :help:
  2. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Make Sure The Axles Can Support It, The Side Gate Souds Like A Good Idea, Unless You Have A Removeable Rear Gate
  3. slapshotmike24

slapshotmike24 LawnSite Member

If my memory serves me correct, I think that a pallet of salt weighs in around a ton (2000lbs). The trailer has a 3500pound axle, so it should be able to hold the weight.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That is absolutely maxed out then on a 3500# Single Axle. That 3500# is the GVW and includes the weight of the trailer which will be from 900-1200#, and must 3500# single axle trailers are really made to carry and total 2990# GVW (as your paperwork should state also) so carring 2K pounds is as I said maxed out on that trailer.
  5. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Some yards around here have extended forks where they can load a trailer from the rear with the ramps down.
  6. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

a pallet (400sq ft of sod) weighs in at minimum of 3000 lbs. So watch out with that.

If it has rained recently that same pallet can weigh in at 5000 lbs. Checked it at a weigh station.

No matter what the trailer is rated for, what are your brakes rated for. If you don't have electric brakes on the trailer I wouldn't make it a habit of pulling more than 2000 lbs. You are an accident waiting to happen.

It isn't how much you can carry or pull. It is how much you can stop with.