Cars/Truck blocking driveway

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CWRSNY, Sep 17, 2006.

CWRSNY LawnSite Member

How do you guys handle when you cannot finish a yard because access to the backyard is blocked by a car/truck or something else thats not movable? Extra charge to come back?

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

First knock and if the vehicle is moved in a timely manner cut the back. If not, leave, charge the same, clean it up next week.
  3. Shawns Lawns

Shawns Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

If i am not able to get it moved i skip it till the following week.
  4. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a couple customers that do this sometimes . A few years back I would charge only half the price then just come back next week to be left with a mess to clean up in the back. I now charge full price no matter how much of the lawn gets cut. Its just not about the time it takes to mow the lawn but the process of getting there. Gas isn't cheap.
  5. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

I've found if you knock on the door for the car to be moved, they'll expect this courtesy often. And it takes time to do. So I'll do it once, after that if they are blocking the drive the back doesn't get cut. Price is the same.
  6. lsylvain

lsylvain LawnSite Senior Member

Easy solution. Tell your customers in the begining your "rules" for un mowable areas, whether it be something in the way or low lieing wet areas etc. In WV you end up with a lot of flooded back yards from all the run off from the mountans I just told my customers that in that case I will mow as much as I can and clean it up when it dries out. I told them from the get go that I don't move stuff, if there kid leaves their powerwheels in the yard I will mow around it, but I won't move it. Same goes for cars etc etc. If they think it's stupid just tell them you moved something that happened to be expensive and happened to end up lost/stollen/broken whatever and you got sued, whatever. You will never see anything in the yard and if you do it only happens once when they have a big spot in the middle of their yard that is taller than the rest.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I am fortunate this is not a problem of mine and for no reason other than perhaps dumb luck, it is perhaps only comparable in frustration to my problem of homeowners cutting it themselves (or any mower other than mine cutting it) a day or so before my scheduled appearance...

Either way, if I can not cut part of the yard or the whole yard for any reason, I pack up and leave and try again the next time I am in that area. In some cases it's just a one-time thing like some roofing truck is in the driveway with guys working ok whatever but if it's worse than that then DO say something but if it happens more often than I can deal with, that is one headache I don't need.

And all the customers you do this with always pay?
    That would amaze me, no way I'm putting myself in that situation.
  8. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

knock and see if it can be moved but if its just a car on the side yard blocking only a the area that its parked on we go around it and charge the same
  9. ATL Lawn

ATL Lawn LawnSite Senior Member