Carson valve boxes

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Dec 5, 2005.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Was completing a WVC conversion today and something happened that I don't know whether it was the box or the colder weather. We finished the last two valves and were getting the jumbo box ready for final set by cutting out the ends to make it fit properly over the inlet and outlet lines. Partner was making the last cut when the corner of the Carson box split completely along the corner. This box came from Ewing as that is what is carried by them while our primary supplier sells a different brand. Partner had to run back to the shop to pick up another box which cut fine when he got it back.

The Carson box seems to be harder and more "plastic" while the other seems a little thicker and denser with that "rubbery" effect. Am I imagining this or was the colder weather this morning playing tricks with us?

2. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I havent had a new box split on me, but I've found that on warm days its a lot harder to get a notch to bust out of the box...Probably just a moulding flaw.

3. PurpHaze

Maybe that was it. He used the DeWalt saw on both of them so it wasn't a difference in technique. Oh well... I just charged out the cracked box to the project also.

4. Cold morning? I don't think you have to worry about the cold causing this stuff until its cold like the rest of the USA....not like your cold or Phx cold...lol.

5. PurpHaze

My cold is a "working" cold since we'll keep on working all winter. Your cold is a "hold the presses" cold that stops irrigation work dead in its tracks. :p