Case 1840

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by dsb, Jun 30, 2005.

1. dsb

dsb LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Found a Case 1840 with 800 hours, the guy said it was in great shape. He is asking $10,000 for it. Is that a good price? does anyone know the HP of this machine? He also has a two Bobcat's a 773 with 2100 hours for $10,500 and a 863 highflow with 1200 hours for $12,500. The 863 sounds good to me, but he said it had concrete splatter on the front of the machine, that kinda scares me, because I've heard the concrete guys are hard on skid steers. The guy that has them is a used equipment dealer and didn't really know the years on these machines or what they were used for, that makes me a little skitish also.

Any comments on these machines would be appreciated........thanks
  2. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

Off the top of my head, the 1840 has 49 or 50 horsepower... but the last time I looked at an 1840 literature was a while ago.

The Case is a good machine, and I think its price is pretty good as well. The Bobcat 773 seems overpriced (relative to the Case), and I'd tend to agree with your comment about the 863. Even so, take a look at it and see if it needs serious overhaul. The concrete splatter could have been an isolated event.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

You can find any of those machines listed and get them for $3,000.00 less, at least. The 1840 has to be over 6 years old because Case has been using different numbering than that for at least 5 years. X-70,80,90, etc etc.

The Bobcat numbering is at least 3 years old as well. Since a 773 sold new for $21,000.00, 10.5 is way out of line with 2100 hours on it. Over 2000 on anything and you get into those small/mid sized repairs where things start breaking. The cost of the parts is one thing. The cost of the downtime, will put you out of business.
  4. dsb

dsb LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

BobcatS250 and UNISCAPER,

Thanks for your replies.

I agree the 1840 is too old and I don't really want a bobcat with foot controls.
    I am currently looking for a Case 1845C, Ksss highly recommended them.

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

Though Case makes a pretty good machine, and they are controlled with two levers, their controls are seriously flawed.

Anytime you have a yank one at you, push one away type of control, and the bucket/boom controls are located on the ends of those yank sticks, you run the risk of moving the digging controls. Also, the Case does not have a foot throttle which, is invaluable. Anytime you have a fixed position joystick throttle like Bobcat, like Case, like yickafiggen machines all use, your operators tend to get lazy. I have seen them get out while plowing for example with the engine screaming to take a leak. Or worse yet, shut them off at full throttle, not allowing the turbo it's amount of idle time to cool.

I'm sold on Caterpillar, and won't look at any other machines. No one can beat Cat performance or service. Now if the dealer was anywhere around here I would strongly look at Gehl machines. My 5 year old daughter could run our 4615 and 4625 because of the the dedicated two stick controls, and they dug very well.
  6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

On the 1840. I have owned 7 of them. Great machines, if you have found one with 800 hours (and you can confirm that is legit) then $10,500 is not out of line, although if you could get it for $9,500 you would have done well. Uniscaper is correct these machines do not have a foot throttle, however the XT series machines do. It is a great feature, but your not going to get an XT for 10K. I recommended the 1845C because it is larger, with more capacity and more popular. The CASE XT machines were intoduced in 02 with the 1800 series produced through 02 so this machine could be that new or as old as 91'. Again the color scheme will provide some clue. Also 94' was the first year of the pull down restraint bar. This superceded the individual restraint system that is not nearly as user friendly. To put some of what Uniscaper has to say to context, the controls on the 1800 series work just fine and had for decades before CAT knew what a skid steer was. Are they as effortless as the XT series or pilot controls? no they are not but they have great feel and your not spending the money to get a more refined control system. I will agree that the Bobcats are over priced. If your working commercially I would not buy a used skid steer with that kind of hours on the meter.