Case 850K

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by construrent, Nov 1, 2007.

1. construrent

construrent LawnSite Member

Guys - Dozerman,

I'm looking to buy a new Case 850K, I have reviewed most of the threads in this forum already, I'm looking for some feedback about this machine, Komatsu I know from experience but I don't know how good a Case Dozer is,
    Any input would be greatly appreaciated. My jobs will entail grading and backfilling sites so the D4 / D5 size is best fit with the PAT blade,

Thanks,

Construrent

2. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

we run a 550G...good little dozer...if i could start from new i would definitely go with a hydrostatic...we run a lot of Case equipment and they are easy and for the most part cheap to work on. I haven't run any of the new Case dozer's, ours is a '99 with accelerator pedal, but i have run a 2006 Cat D5 and loved it. Like i said i would definitely go hydro and if you are buying new i would probably go Case as well, i like the looks and power of the Cats but their dealers take so long to get parts in, and when they do you would think you're buying part of a rocket ship they are so expensive.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've heard that Komatsu's new D51 is pretty sweet. Has a lot of power for it's size and was designed for production finish work. I ran a Deere 650H a little while back shortly, way easier to run than any dozer I've run before. I've run a Deere 450GTC, which is hand lever steering, and I've also run my buddy's International TD7, which is hand steering as well. Hydro is definately way easier to run, IMO, and for finish work making the machine easier to run so you can focus more on the work seems to be reason enough for me.

4. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

That D51 is a nice looking machine. It looks like it has great visibility. It's in a bigger class though, a D6 sized machine. Too big to use on a production lot... a D5 size (850K) would be the biggest that I would go.

construrent- The K-Series are nice machines. I haven't ran an 850 in the K Series, but I demoed a 650K for about a week. The 850 specs out better. It's essentially the same machine frame, just with more horses, bigger blade, grousers, etc... I liked the 650K, but it doesn't have enough power to weight ratio for me. It did have good push power. 850's seem to be more popular around here than 650's. The cabs are very nice. My only real complaint is the pillars that run down next to the real corner window. It blocks a little visibility, and shouldn't be there. The Deere's are all glass. I had a 450J demo right before the Case for comparison. Another thing I didn't like was the way the tracks "tuck" in under the body. You can't see the edge out of the window. The 850 should stick out since the tracks are much wider.

A big advantage that Case has over the competition is the tilt over cab. It gives you access to all the pumps, hoses, etc. in a few minutes. Sure does beat taking off panels and belly pans. To my knowledge nobody else has that. I think they have a good feel to the blade and grade very nice. The cabs are as comfortable as any. I think they're also a very sharp looking machine.

I would definetly demo one and see what you think. I would also try a Deere 650J for comparison. I think both are very nice machines. If Case made a K series in a 550 size hystat, I would have bought one already. If they don't offer one by sometime next year before I replace my undercarriage, I'm going with a Deere 450 or 550J.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, forgot to mention the D51 is a D6 sized machine. Cat's new D6K is it's closest competitor and I think Deere's 700J or 750J is right around there as well.

I guess I didn't see that you said you were working on homesites, definately a D5 or smaller machine would work out best. I really liked the Deere 650H I ran a little, I imagine the J series is even better.

6. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

We have several in our rental fleet. Most are over or are approaching the 2K hr mark. No real issues. Off the top of my head I know of 1 alternator, one blade angle cylinder, one retarder pedal spring. I think thats about it. Service is easy. No belly pan to drop, just a lil access cover for the engine oil drain. Hyd and trans filters are in the right rear compartment, easy to access. Our customers seem to like them but some say they are under powered for an 850. Of course there is a big difference between an 850 Case and an 850 Deere!

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I ran the new CASE hydrostat machines at Tomahawk, Wisconson (CASE demo/proving grounds). Very nice dozers, the controls are super intuitive. I could easily spend all day on one.

8. construrent

Guys,

Thanks very much for the input, I will go with Case because Cat just does'nt care about the small stuff in my area, and I HAVE GOTTEN VERY GOOD REVIEWS!

I also like the Case for the tilting cab design,

It will be a few weeks before I get it, but I will post the pictures of the machine before it goes out to work,

Regards,
    Construrent

9. dozerman21

dozerman21 LawnSite Bronze Member

construrent- A couple more things I thought of... Case is giving away a trip for 2 to Las Vegas for the ConExpo with the purchase of a K-Series dozer. It includes round trip airfare, tickets to the convention, and I think a couple of nights at a hotel. I believe it said the machine has to be in stock. My salesman told me about it and I got some literature in the mail, but I didn't see it on the Case website. I'm not sure when the deal expires.

Also, if you get a machine with a cab, I would opt for the extra cage that surrounds the A/C unit on the back of the cab. I thought it was too exposed for a limb or something to get in there compared to others. My dealer said they have a protective cage that goes around just the A/C unit to help that.

Good Luck!

10. construrent

Dozerman,

The unit I plan on buying is open cab but with te cab screens,

Whats you overall experience with the cost of parts from Case?

I hear alot of people complaning about the cost of JCB and Deere parts,

Thanks,

Construrent