case 95xt warning lamp came on:

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by jr_2, Apr 26, 2005.

1. jr_2

jr_2 LawnSite Member

Hi, I have a Case 95xt with 550 hrs. I started it up and ran it for about 10 minutes , with lite throttle. The machine wasn't even wormed up and the Coolant temperature warning lamp and alarm came on. I shut the machine down and found nothing hot. I let it set for one hr and started it up. The coolant lamp & alarm was still on. I can't figure what caused the warning to come on and I can't figure why it stayed on. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Thanks for any help
  2. TerraFirma Excavating

TerraFirma Excavating LawnSite Member

Maybe the waterpump quit or the belt broke. This would cause it to overheat in very little time since it isn't circulating coolant. Does your machine have a tempurature gauge or just a dummy light?
  3. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

also could be a stuck thermostat
  4. jr_2

jr_2 LawnSite Member

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I can't see any sign that the motor is hot. Also, why won't the light go out when the motor is cold? I can start it up cold and the lamp will be on , when I turn the motor over. It acts like it is in the lamp switch. Maybe I'll have to unhook the battery to clear the memory. Does anyone know about that?
  5. jd270

jd270 LawnSite Member

check the wires to the sending unit for the temp
  6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would guess that the sending unit is bad. Clearing the "memory" is not an option, it doesn't work like that.
  7. jr_2

jr_2 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help. It tured out to be the sending unit. I bought the sending unit in hopes of replacing it. A 1/2" drive won't break it loose. I'm needing a 3" extention for my 3/4" drive set. Then I hope I can break the old sending unit loose. Any good ideas on getting it loose?
  8. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Go to Napa or any parts store and look for this stuff called PB Blaster.I use it all the time and it will help break any hard a$$ bolt out there.I always carry a can in the truck and on the old IH cub i have.