Case/Cat Used Skid Steer opinions

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by goatboy67, Nov 28, 2006.

1. goatboy67

goatboy67 LawnSite Member

I am looking at purchasing a used skid steer and am wavering between 2...

A 2003 case 60xt with side glass, ride control, lo pro 72", new tires and 600hrs.
    Dealer asking 15.5K

A 2003 Cat 242, 66" bucket, forks, low profile wheels/tires, and 1800 hrs but well cared for - Dealer asking 15.8k

One of my main criteria is resale. What should I expect to pay for these machines any opinions would be appreciated?

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

A quick look on Iron Planet and I would say the CAT is too high. In OCT and Sept two 03 242 CATs went through one with 1100 hours the other with 1300 hours. The one had a delimber attachment on it and it went for 13K while the other went for 12K. The CASE with such low hours and with ride control is a better deal. As far as resale both machines will hold their value.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Go with the Case, the 242 is an underpowered pig and the visibility is terrible out of all Cat vertical lift machines. Price isn't bad, but isn't great either.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Scag does bring up a point. These two machines don't compare very well.

CASE CAT
    hp 80 62

displacement in CI
    274 134

chainsize
    100 80

hyd. flow
    21 15.6

operating load
    both 2000

breakout
    5413 4059

dump height
    121" 119"

These specs are for a 430 and a 242B. I could not find the older numbers but they should be close. The only discrepency that I know is that the lift capacity for a 60XT was 1800 not 2000 as its replacement machine is. The CAT is obviously speced more for lift and carry type work and the CASE more for excavating. Their different lift linkage is also a clue. I guess which machine would be better for you would depend on what you wanted to do with it. I have never run a 60XT, I recently traded a 70XT which was an excellent machine for grading and general dirt work. Much like the 60 would be I imagine without the extra hp of the 70XT. It was a dependable machine. The machine was sold before it even hit the dealers lot. I have never run one of the smaller CAT vertical lift machines. I do think the vertical lift linkage is a mess. I guess they were getting to the bottom of the engineering barrel. I think the easy solutions are covered by patents and used by everyone else. I have never heard of one failing, just people complain about visibility.

5. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

I concur... it may be worth it to compare a 236/236B or 246/246B with the 60XT. I don't think the 242B is too underpowered -- the 257B is, if you don't operate it correctly -- but it's really not meant to compete with a radial-life machine. (It's supposed to compete with the Bobcat S185/S205 and New Hollands and Deere.)

6. goatboy67

goatboy67 LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the responses...I think it will be the Case. I do prefer Radial lift since most work will be backfill, grading and digging.

Any ideas on how much I should offer for the Case machine considering it is being sold by a case dealer.

Also...any leads on a used equipment trailer in the ohio/pa area?

Thanks

7. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I would start negotiations at about 1500 less than asking price. However even if he didn't move on the price its still a good deal. I got 17,000 for my 03 70XT on trade and it resold I think at 19500. It had just under 1400 hours. It did not have side glass, did have ride control.