Case CX36

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Dirty Water, May 16, 2005.

1. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I rented one of these a while back, and did a 900'x18"x4' power trench. It was a bit small for the task, but it was comfortable, had plenty of power and I loved the controls. (Previously I had used a ancient Yanmar).

Anyone else try out this mini-ex?

[​IMG]

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I demoed a 36 and 47 before they came out with the new and improved version. These are Kobleco mini excavators. I also really liked the controls. The boom swing mechanism is a great idea. It was probably the most comfortable 7500 (CX36) pound machine I have run. The model I ran had a cab. I was disappointed with the breakout force. The IHI I was replacing at the time had a heavier swing knuckle assembly and boom, and even though it had several thousand more hours, it dug with ease compared to the CASE. I was told that the newest models have been bumped up in hydrualic HP and breakout as well as other improvements. The CX47 was much more impressive in its digging ability with the same level of comfort. Again these were the first series machines and I have not run the improved models. To me they run a lot like the Deere ZTS machines. I wanted to like the CASE but I went with Takeuchi in the end.

3. Dirty Water

What made you choose the takeuchi?

I used an old rental one, it had so much slop it was horrible.

4. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

I was first attracted to Takeuchi based on the specs of their machines. I was originally in the market for a 16K excavator and had about made up my mind on an IHI 80NX. I even went to Etown, Ky to run one. Great machine and the guys at IHI are first rate. However, Takeuchi released the TB53 a couple of months prior. It specs very well. Very comparable to anyones 16K machines in reach and breakout even though it is 12K machine. I was somewhat concerned about the side to side boom verse the familiar swing boom. Another excavator friend of mine bought a TB53, and let me use it for a day. I ordered one the very next day. The guy who borrowed me his for a day now owns two of them. The side to side boom is way superior to the swing boom. Loading trucks is very easy. The zero swing/zero tail is great. We take on large demolition and excavation jobs with this machine and yet it is transportable enough to handle the small jobs we also do. Overall, we have been very happy with it. I have yet to speak to anyone that owns a Takeuchi that is not happy with it. I do miss the IHI I traded in sometimes though. I think the controls are somewhat smoother on the IHI, than the TB53. IHI has now released a 65NX which is a 14K machine with the swing boom mounted off to the side. When its time to trade, I want to run that machine. The TB53 is a very strong machine for its size and has yet to have any downtime other than scheduled maintaince. I wouldn't judge them based on whats in a rental fleet. As with any machine, they are a product of the type of care and maintaince they receive. I wouldn't talk you out of a CASE mini ex. They may fit your operation very well. I needed one machine that could take on a wide variety of jobs. The capablility of the Takeuchi fits very well into my operation.

5. Dirty Water

Explain this 'side to side boom"?

6. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The boom center pivots under the "house" of the machine. Activating the boom swing slides the boom to the left or to the right (about the width of the machine). This is opposed to the swing boom which has a knuckle in front of the house on which the boom articulates. The benefits are the machine (TB53) does not get pulled around when articulated fully to the left or right as it does with a swing boom machine when its bent all the way right or left. Much better balanced machine because the weight is not "hanging" off the front of the machine as it does with a swing boom. When the boom is articulated all the way to the right. The boom can be brought back as so it is right next to the right of the cab . This is what allows for a zero tail/zero swing machine (spin 360 degrees and the machine does not go beyond the tracks) it also allows for the ability to dump into high sided dump trucks very well. If you go to the Takeuchi website you can see a picture of it. That may make more sense than my attempt to describe it. The only issue is the TB53 so far is the only machine with this boom system. The rumor is they are going to release it in the other machines (7500 and 16000 K) but I have yet to see it.

7. Tigerotor77W

Tigerotor77W LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Germany

A few added comments: www.takeuchi-us.com is the site if you were looking;
    also, the side-to-side boom is a variant of the sliding boom (eg, translationally, or left to right motion) that you would find on European backhoe loaders. Rather than a vertical pin allowing the boom to swivel, there is a mechanism that slides the boom more or less from the left track to the right track.

kaiser, with the demolition work you do, do you find that the TB53 requires more greasing or maintenance than a typical swing boom?

8. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

Yes there are more grease points on the machine than are on a conventional swing boom.