Case Mini-Ex

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by jefftb, Mar 2, 2008.

1. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

In the new(er) Case mini's, i.e. the CX36 and CX50, do the hydraulic pumps squeal or whine? I was talking with one of my subs the other day about purchasing a mini-ex this year (I currently rent from Komatsu exclusively on the excavators.) I mentioned that I was considering Case, Deere, or Komatsu.

As one of my subs he does the heavy lifting on my large projects and owns all Komatsu equipment (excepting one Deere CT322 due to control set) but before that he owned some Case excavators. He indicated that he had several problems with Case hydraulic pumps needing repair and that they "whined" a lot. At the time he asked his Case dealer's service tech about that and he indicated that when you are moving that much hydraulic fluid you will get whine or squeal. He then said to me as his Komatsu 220 and 78 were working behind us, "funny, I don't hear those machines whining moving all of that fluid".

I do not see a lot of Case mini's in my area, mostly Cat, Komatsu, or Bobcat. Deere and Case mini's are rare. I see quite a bit of Case skid steers and larger Case excavators so I know the dealer is doing something right. Case Equipment has been around a long time and overall I'm sure that its good equipment.

My guys like the Komatsu excavators by the way-very smooth, strong, and good reach with being balanced. Not so much on the Cat mini's but it was only one machine and it might have not been setup properly.

Any insight from Case mini owners?

2. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

3. jefftb

jefftb LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks KSSS.

I'd like to try and stay with one brand of equipment if possible since I think that establishes a better working relationship with the dealer when needing support or those other little things they can make happen "up the chain" when you need it the most.

I've used Case skids before and liked them. Same for Deere. I've never used Deere or Case excavators nor Komatsu skids so I'm working from different ends of the brands. Of the three in my area I'd say Case and Komatsu have had better dealership experiences with me. The Deere dealer in this area that handles the mini's is also the AG dealer. The heavy division dealer of Deere here does not do much with the mini's.

Who here is/has run the Deere 35D? Compared the Case to the Deere in mini excavator series?

4. bobcat_ron

bobcat_ron LawnSite Fanatic

The Deere/Hitachi's are extremely quiet in pump noises.

5. ksss

ksss LawnSite Fanatic

The Deere and the CASE on paper are very close. The boom swing on the CASE is a neat idea in the way it functions the swing. If you go to the CASE website they have a really got comparison page that shows the specs in comparison.

6. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have not run the Deere 35D but I have a buddy who has one. He said he has had great service out of it. Around here Cat,Deere, Takeuchi, and Kubota rule the mini excavator market. I have yet to see one of the Case/Kobelco machines. I always thought that was strange because I do see a farir amount of Case skid steers.

7. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

I have a deere 35D mini and it is a great machine.I work it very hard and it does not let me down. I carbody and blade is made by Komatsu.The pumps are very quiet.serviceability is very good on the D series but not on the C series, on the D's the cab tilts forward and the panels come off very easy.
    Here is a pic of my old mini and my new mini.
    DSCN0756.JPG
    minimax

DSCN0756.JPG

8. J. Peterson Grading

J. Peterson Grading LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

I rented 2 different case 36 minis. Both were extremely slow operating machines. They seemed to have power but no speed at all.

If I were you and was happy with the Komatsu minis I'd stay with them.

Case = Can't Afford Something Else. Something funny I heard.

J.

9. BIGBEN2004

BIGBEN2004 LawnSite Senior Member

That is a nice thumb on your machine. I want a thumb and a swivel knuckel on a mini when the day comes that I buy one. How much was the option of that thumb?

10. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a Pro link HPF thumb and it ran about $3500 dollers but worth every penny!
    DSCN0768.JPG
    minimax

DSCN0768.JPG