1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Case Tractor

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by DaveVB, Sep 14, 2003.

1. DaveVB

DaveVB LawnSite Member

My local dealer/part-time boss has a Case 446? tractor with a belly mower. Any thoughts? It seems in good shape. I am looking for something to tinker with, and as I am a Case man it seems like a cool find. I understand they were made by Ingersoll. Comments? Thankyou:)
  2. byoung

byoung LawnSite Member

My brother has one and LOVES it... It's a pretty cool machine, I'm looking into one for my home etc.
  3. talldaddy

talldaddy LawnSite Member

My dad has one, he has had it for around 33 years. We have rebuild and replaced the engine on it three times. The onan 16 hp engine is weak for a small tractor of that size. It always did a good job cutting the grass and he has used it to turn, disc and cultivate a 1 acre garden for those 33 years. It is slow to mow with but it is built like a small tank.
  4. byoung

byoung LawnSite Member

Also you might check the engine. I'm no expert on this particular machine, but I'm pretty sure most people change out the original Onan engine for a stronger one - then run them for a billion years.