Casey's Mowing & Landscaping.

Discussion in 'Original Pictures Forum' started by caseysmowing, Sep 16, 2013.

1. caseysmowing

caseysmowing LawnSite Bronze Member

Being solo it's a must have I think. It also depends how far they need to go. The farther you go the more leaves you lose. Yes it's the jrco I got it from jacks small engine for $400 I believe.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

Work looks good!
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. caseysmowing

Thank you!
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. SRT8

SRT8 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CA

You mow some pretty big lawns, how do you like the cheetah?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. caseysmowing

I like the cheetah a lot. But I really don't know any different because it was my first ztr. I did have a DC that I got when I bought another part timer's business. I didn't care for it as a primary mower. Most of my lawns are crappy and less than a acre. I only have two bigger lawns at 5 acres and the other is 2.5 acres. None of my lawns get any type of treatments. I'd be happy if they would pick up trash, coil the hose, trim low hanging branches, spray the weeds in what's left of a flower bed. My goal for next year is to get rid of the low profit ones and replace with higher end lawns that make the job a little more enjoyable. Also would like to free up more time for landscape jobs since I've had to turn down a lot this year because I mow 4 days a week and it rained all the time here. BTW I only have put 150 hours on the cheetah in 2 years.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

Time to buy a walk behind spreader and sell some fertilizer. You'll profit from putting it down, your mowing job will look better, and you'll pick up other customers in the neighborhood who want their lawn to look as good as Harry Homeowner down the street.

Sounds like it's time to hire some cheap help and teach them how to string trim. It'll speed up the mowing jobs and open up time for landscape jobs. Pay the helper $10.00 per hour, charge $35.00 per man hour on the landscape work. It's time to take a step up and increase your profits using someone else's back.

7. caseysmowing

Getting help for next year is in the works. Just not looking for the extra headache and paper work. It'll be hard to do since this is a part time job. Finding up after 3:00 won't be easy. Is that your old ford dump on CL near DC?BTW my clients are not going to pay for fert.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. alexschultz1

alexschultz1 LawnSite Bronze Member

invest in a double shoulder harness. We use ours for large shrubs, and after you toss on the extension and extended hedge trimmers the darn machine feels like it weights 50 lbs. The shoulder harness lets you put most of the weight on your back.

9. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

Place an ad - needing part time help after 3:00 weekdays. Every time I place an ad for full time workers, I get a ton of calls from people looking for part time work... especially college students looking for a job that will fit with their class schedules. You'd be surprised at how many people are looking to pick up some extra cash for a few hours here or there. Since they're occasional workers and you're a solo operator, pay them with cash.

And no, that isn't my truck that's for sale. There's literally a kazillion contractors in this area. Heck, just in the Marshall area, there's a huge operation and two other medium sized operations. Not to mention several solo or two-man LCO's.

10. caseysmowing

Oh ok I've seen that truck on lawnsite for sale so I thought it might be yours.
    Posted via Mobile Device