1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

$CASH$ found

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HarryD, May 21, 2003.

1. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

How many of you have found some money this year while mowing. last week I found a folded up $10 spot and today found another folded up $10 spot . both at banks that I mow :rolleyes: . Can't wait for that $100 bill to come floating by while im mowing. I will eat good that day for sure :p
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

*note to self*

start checking HarryD's properties for un-claimed cash.
  3. robin 2

robin 2 LawnSite Member

I find $5 and $10 bills, but the mower usually finds them first. One year we kept all of the change we found and it was $200.
  4. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

I try to always walk my commercial propertys for trash & what ever mite be laying in the grass before I begin mowing so I dont have to stop to pick it up. Alot of guys keep lose bills in there front pockets and im sure thats when the bills fall out :( when they pull there keys or what ever from there pocket
  5. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I found 2 $10 bills last week on the edge of a property I was mowing. I felt guilty just keeping it so I went to the door and asked if it was theirs. Apparently their son was putting in the dock and had taken out his wallet. Wind picked up an blew a bunch of money around. They had though they found it all. They took it and said thank you. I feel like I did the right thing...although there was a side of me that wanted to pocket it.
  6. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

Esby; You did the right thing.

Taking money on residential properties and just pocketing it is wrong.

Taking money found on a commercial property is fine as long as they're no reasonable chance that turning it in would mean it would find it's rightful owner. If it was a bank and you found a zippered envelope outside the night deposit - then that's obvious. Turn it in. But some bills floating around in a parking lot or landscape is fair game and there's almost zero chance of finding whoever dropped it. So I don't see anything unethical about keeping that at all.

Personally, I don't waste my time bending down to pick up anything under $50. I make more money if I just keep walking and doing my work. :D :D :D
  7. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I found a quarter last week. Just a quarter. :(
  8. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

You'd mulch a 20? I picked up an indian head nickel the other day.
  9. William Camp

William Camp LawnSite Member

Last year I found a dollar but this year at an auto zone i found a two pack of color condoms and ask in side how they were asking for payment.

Fourstar Lawnscaping:D :D payup
  10. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I found $18 walking in the store the other day,Then while sitting at a stop light the man two cars ahead of me jumps out runs to the side of the road and picks up some money.That guy must have good eye sight.