1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Cash or Finance

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Bullah, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Bullah

Bullah LawnSite Member

Hey, I am just getting started on this as a part time venture. Have worked for someone else for five years part time; decided to make my own go at it. I have a set of used commercial everything except the mower. The biggest thing. I have enough cash (about 2000.00) to buy a Home Depot John Deere or Craftsman Lawn Mower but I also have good credit and really like the 34' Gravely ZTR for about 5500. with the bagging system and warranty. Comments and suggestions please.
  2. Lumberjack

Lumberjack LawnSite Member

Get the gravely after you figure out what you have to do to make it pay for itself. It will long out last the homeowner varieties and cut better as well. The bagger you might want to wait on untill you absolutly need it.
  3. Bullah

Bullah LawnSite Member

I think I will need the bagger from the start. My area is dense in pine trees. Many customers want their yards "vacumed" in the off season to make them look good, weather they have leaf bearing trees or not.
  4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

Do not, I repeat, do NOT buy anything from Lowes or a Craftsman unless you are using it on one yard a week! Put the 2000 Grand on any good commercial or the Gravely should be fine. I would buy used commercial before I would anything from the box stores, and yes I learned this the hard way.
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Use your money wisely - I suggest that providing you have good credit - finance the whole amount of the new machine.
    Gravely is offering several attractive financial options, all of which are easy to qualify for with good credit.
    To amoritize this cost into your overhead, simply figure out your operating costs by week, and quarter, and this goes in to factoring your service rate.
  6. Bullah

Bullah LawnSite Member

I sense a consenus.
  7. EPIC

EPIC LawnSite Member

pay in cash pay in cash pay in cash ..... get a good used commercail mower the less over head the better
  8. EPIC

EPIC LawnSite Member

or if you have 2g's i would recommend getting a quick 36 mower from better mowers
  9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Get what you can get for the cash you have. It will last long enough to pay cash for a commercial unit. Then sell the residential mower for about 1/2 what you paid for it...and get a lawn sweeper. They work oh so well for what you want it for...
  10. bugspit

bugspit LawnSite Senior Member

5 years of employment and you only have 2K saved? :hammerhead:

Use half that cash to get started, keep a $1000.00 in the bank and start a savings program, maybe put your venture off another year.

Debt will get you no where, except deeper in debt.