cast aluminum mower deck repair

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by captken, May 6, 2003.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

does any one know how to repair cracks and how it fix chunks knocked out of aluminum mower decks. My JD 21" JX 85 needs repair, Everything else works exceptionally well, except for a chunk missing on the deck leading edge on the rear where the mulching plate goes.
    help please, I can't afford to junk her. the plastic chute is contacting the blade because of this. There must be a solution.

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

In all honesty, it will probably be easiest to use Jb-Weld on the cracks:)

3. captken

I tried JB weld on the chunk [both sides and between where the metal meets metal] Used a galvanized strap on both sides and screwed the bandage tight over the curing JB weld. The screws and straps held, The JB didn't. Maybe I didn't mix it proberly.
    I wonder if you can possibly braise or weld it? People I've talked to some say yes some say no.
    Can there be a solution? I found a junker jd deck and it too has a chunk missing from the deck.
    It's a great mower otherwise. any more suggestions?

4. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

Find a welder that uses a TIG machine is about your best bet.

5. vipermanz

A tig would fix it right up, If you can't get to a Tig i would suggest brazing it

6. mower17

mower17 LawnSite Member
    from la

There is a puddy called red hand. I comes in two cans. When ,mixed together after about 6 hours, it is like cement. Offshore workers use it to repair major cracks. Using it on a boat is nothing compared to what it can hold. If you could find some, it would be a great investment. Plus that stuff stays soft in the cans for ever.

7. captken

great idea, I don't work boats now. have used redhand before. very expensive. can be molded into whatever shape. repairs damage to steel hulls, can be applied underwater, great stuff, has to be grinded off to remove, kinda like jb weld, don't know how to find some now....

8. vipermanz

if you are going to use an epoxy, be sure to really rough up the surfaces of the areas to be bonded, it will adhere much better