1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

CAST Bullet Area Light (path)

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by Mike M, Jul 25, 2008.

1. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Just wondering if anyone has used this or anything similar, and has any feedback.

A prospective customer was requesting a bullet pointed down from a stem, instead of the usual china-hat path.

2. irrig8r

irrig8r LawnSite Platinum Member

What effect does the customer want to achieve?
  3. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

That is my thought, exactly. That type of fixture, IMHO, is more ugly and obnoxious than the plastic pagodas. Can you talk him out of it? I would try.
  4. INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting LawnSite Platinum Member

Ditto both Gregg and Chris.

Many manufacturers make bullets on stems Mike. Hunza, Vista, Lumiere, etc etc etc.

The only time I have ever used them is when uplighting a tree that is amidst a lot of juniper shrubs. The stem gets the bullets up out of the undergrowth. Of course a more economical way to do this is to build you own custom stem.

Have a great day.
  5. poiuy qwerty

poiuy qwerty LawnSite Member

We have used it at the customers request at the top of a set of stairs pointing down to illuminate the stairs and path. Not what I would have picked out but the customer is always right.... right?
  6. Mike M

Mike M LawnSite Bronze Member
    from usa

Yeah, I pointed him away. Funny, now that I think about it. I never saw one in hand, just the pic's.
  7. steveparrott

steveparrott Sponsor

Mike, CAST makes a bullet on a stem. It's called a Bullet Area Light (CBAL1CB). It's often used when you need to extend a bullet up and out of some plant material. It's also used for grazing driveways, retaining walls and the like.
  8. JoeyD

JoeyD LawnSite Silver Member

We sell riser stems in Brass and copper that you can thread any bullet light into for this application.
  9. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

I've used a 1/2" copper pipe, 24" long for the stem/stake and female 1/2" threads on end to mound a mr-11 bullet. you can pound the stem/stake in as deep as youlike to adjust height, then epoxy on the female fitting. costwise around 15 bucks or so. About triple what it was 3 years ago, but still a pretty good deal.
  10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

Only time we have used them is for uplighting crepes that were surrounded by azaleas. Brought them up to the perfect level