Cast Iron Front Axle (Residential Customer)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by southeastdesign, Aug 28, 2003.

1. southeastdesign

southeastdesign LawnSite Member

I guy came to me wondering was the cast iron front axle any better than the steel, for a 1-2 times a week user!

What do you guys think?

2. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Well I dont think you should be giving advice on a subject that you dont know about. I would send him to a auto body store.

3. southeastdesign

southeastdesign LawnSite Member

LOL...I'm talking about a residential lawn mower. Either a steel front axle or cast iron!

I should have made myself more clear!

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

LOL

Well think of the two different metals.

Cast Iron has no give to it. So it would crack and break

Steel will have the ability to bend

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I'm plenty experienced in lawn and garden tractors, and anyone who knows anything about them will say "cast iron" in a heartbeat. The steel ones are flimsy, the cast iron ones are made so thick that they cannot crack even under a heavy load. Often on todays lawn tractors they put a cast iron axle on a thin tin frame just to claim the cast axle, don't go for a lawn tractor unless you are just mowing level smooth ground and occasionally pulling a cart. If you want heavy duty, get a garden tractor rated one, these are built tough all over, not just the front axle. Or you can get a "Lawn and Garden tractor" or "Yard tractor" these are a in-between model.

Cast iron axle on any type tractor though.

6. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

BEND is correct, BREAK is wrong. The problem with pressed steel front axles they bend & they allow the tie rods to get very, very sloppy. That is why only lower end units use them (yardman, ayp, etc)

7. mrbenfer

mrbenfer LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Sorry Southeast.... haha :rolleyes: