cast well lights

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by jbailey52, Jan 5, 2007.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

So were using cast wells... and the bunch we got i thought looked weird... the cut out part of the well body... was pointed down, and the lamp away from it.. why were they put together like that? I think they can be taken out and flipped.. but its strange they were given to us like that correct?

2. eskerlite

eskerlite LawnSite Member

When shielding the fixture from behind you put the cut out part up. When installing flush with the ground or in the lawn, the straight cut should be used. All companies do this.
    Sean C.

3. Lightscapes

Lightscapes LawnSite Member

In my experience, most well lights are used in the configuration those are shipped in (pretty much straight up). We use more bullets when we need to angle the light more. Typically, when we need to angle the light that much, we also need the better control that the MR16 selection offers.

4. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with this.. but one this one particular job along a walk way we lit 4 5' douglas firs with 4 well lights.. I felt they worked better for two reasons. One, they are half the price and we needed only 4 wells compared to 8 bullets (I know price shouldt always go over quality) and sesond.. if there were two bullets on each tree, one would almost always be somewhat pointed in the direction you were walking.. and be very bright in the eye... With the wells, We were able to direct them so they wouldnt blind you walking down the path.

5. RICHLONGHORN

RICHLONGHORN LawnSite Member

It's possible honeycomb louvers in bullets may have reduced glare enough
    to prevent blinding people as the walked along the sidewalk. It might be worth a try next time. One thing I don't like about well lights is that many times they create a hot spot on the ground drawing attention away from the object you are trying to highlight.

Rich