1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

caster wheel bearings

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by s and s mowing, Oct 31, 2004.

1. s and s mowing

s and s mowing LawnSite Member
    from ky

my lazer has 125 hrs on it,do i need to service my bearings this winter,i checked em and they dont spin free or side to side play.other guys have told me to service every 400 to 600 hrs,book says yearly but im wondering how many hours they are baseing that on.thanks
  2. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

I had to replace my caster bearings at 380 hrs. I had a Lazer that I sold a few years ago that had grease fittings and it hasn't had a problem with 1000 hrs. on with grease fittings. My improved sealed bearings are shot at 380 hrs. And I paid for the repair.Only guarenteed for one year.
  3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

I recommend servicing the bearings annually or every 1000 hours whichever comes first. Most of the caster failures we see are due to a loss of clamp load on the bearing itself. You MUST adjust the bearing pre-load/clamp load occasionally on the front caster wheels.

The adjustment is quite simple. If when you lift the mower to change the blades you spin the wheel and it spins freely this is BAD. The wheel should have enough drag on it to prevent it from making more than 1/2 to 1-1/2 full rotation when you spin it. If the wheel spins to freely simple tighten the wheel bolt an 1/8 at a time until it is set properly.