Caster wheel conversion on 21"

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.lawnsite.com/buttons/jump.php?i' started by FrankenScagMachines, Mar 15, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Pretty self explanatory. it's a self propelled mower and the casters make it really nice for turning. I will paint it black to match the mower as soon as I get the paint :blob4:

mar15#84.jpg

2. ksland

ksland LawnSite Senior Member

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

What's that for?
    Also did you get my email?

4. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Couple of quick questions:

Do they lock (for hillsides)?

Are they adjustable (height-wise)?

Do they sink in soggy conditions (look kinda small?)?

I was considering castors when I bought my 21, but you can't get a commercial 21 with castors, and I wanted them to be able to lock, but the locks don't work very well. I figured it's just as easy to raise it a little and turn.

5. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

one mans trash is another mans treasure..............:angel:

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

0ryan0- they can lock with a pin, and they also have fully greasable roller bearings for the swivel.
    Height is adjusted by one single lever at the left rear wheel area. It raises all 4 at once. They do not really sink it since it is a rear bagger it isn't very front end heavy.
    The idea behind casters is that you don't have to do any front end lifting when turning and you maintain a level cut all the way through a turn. Less manual labor involved hehe

ToG, thats the idea! :)

7. Is that an air grinder there or some sort of cut down impact?

8. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

9. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Ariens used to make a 21" with casters on it. I ended up switching then to fixed wheels because the casters got all bent from rolling back and forth in the trailer.