Caster Wheel Sulky

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Fresh Cut, Apr 22, 2005.

1. Fresh Cut

Fresh Cut LawnSite Member

I just bought one of those Lesco caster sulkys and I'm haveing trouble backing up with it. One or both of the wheels will turn half way around and then bind in the grass causing mower drive wheels to dig nice holes in the grass. I have to do a 3 point turn with some body english to keep it from happening :dizzy: . Even then it still happens sometimes :angry: . It definately seems worse in thicker grass (full sun St. Augustine gets REAL thick). I'm using it on my new Toro 52" Hydro T-Bar. Anybody else use one and have this problem? Does the Bullrider do this? Would I be better off with a Velkex2 or a Jungle Wheels. I mow some decent sized properties (not the 4-5 acre ones some of you talk about) and some fairly tight stuff so I need to be able to back up frequently.
  2. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

Take it back! Buy a Velkie or look at Jungle Jim. I think some of Lesco's products are just a step above a Harbo Freight products,(JUNK,well most) ;)
  3. Fresh Cut

Harbor Freight maybe, but at $300 I'd sure wished it worked a little better! It's like the casters are set at a bad angle, I don't know, they just don't swivel very well when there's weight on them (like my 150 lbs.). How do the jungle wheels and velke x2 work in tight spots, lots of 180 degree turning? The caster idea is great I just want it to work. :cry:
  4. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a Toro 52" Hydro with the toro tru trak sulky on it and i havent ever had any problems and they are made by toro. I would definatly recomend a swivel sulky.
  5. Fresh Cut

Just curious, is your Toro Hydro a T-Bar or Pistol grip? So your Tru-Trak casters spin and point in the right direction as easily and freely (with you on it) as the ones on the front of the mower. Even turning in reverse in thick grass!? The ones on this Lesco jam sideways in the turf and I have to get off to get the mower moving again, thats not easy considering the size of this sulky.
  6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Just do the old (squeeze it between your feet and hop with trick) I have to do all the time to keep from running over the darn thing.
  7. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Get a set of Velke x2 or Jungle Wheels, they both back up easily like 6-8 feet without getting jackknifed, besides being lighter. Caster is heavy and the bushing on caster has to be well greased otherwise it won't do castering well enough for you to back up. It is even worse on hill.
  8. CuttinUP

CuttinUP LawnSite Senior Member

:cool: I just bought the Bull Rider Wheels on a Turf Tracer HP 48/17 and I am a rookie when it's commercial mowers but I am learning pretty quick. At first the Bull Riders do the same thing when I have to back up and the drive wheels will start to spin, but then I started to step off some when starting to go in reverse and then step back on when the caster wheels spin around and this does fine, and the fact that I am about 230 lbs doesen't help. I tried both styles and having the controls in front of you even when turning is nice. And some thing else I noticed that they do is when you are going across the side of a slop your weight is wanting to roll the casters down the slop, so this makes your mower start to want to turn up the hill and you are correcting it the whole way and that sucks.
  9. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

It is possible that you have it hooked to the mower at the wrong hieght. If you pull the bolts out of the bracket attaching it, then clamp it on ( very securely ) a little higher or lower and test drive it in your lawn. The castor spindles should be verticle when set up properly.
    I have a bullrider, and that made a huge difference in it's opperation.
  10. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

Cuttin up - I have an Exmark 36 Viking and bought a Bull Rider a couple of years ago. My intention was to use it in 'caster' mode, but learned quickly the sulky was controlling the mower far too much. My 36" machine was too light. I had the same problem with the wheels turning (the issue that started this thread). I changed the Bull Rider to 'trailer' mode, and use it everyday. I like it, although not being used as intended. I would never be as productive without it.

For those suggesting Jungle Wheels, Velke X2, etc -- those are 'trailer' sulkies. I think the Lesco one that generated the question is a 'caster' sulky only. It cannot be converted to run either way.