caster wheel velke

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lil_cote_93, Jul 7, 2008.

1. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

I know there is a bunch of threads on this topic but i need a quick answer

Should i get a caster wheel sulky or a regular 2 wheel sulky?
    i tried a caster wheel one and it was great for turning but tough to keeep straight.
    PLEASE any input!
  2. dura to the max

dura to the max LawnSite Silver Member
    from georgia

proslide xt! if you want wheels get a dual wheeld sulky. the single wheeled units leave a nasty looking line in the lawn.
  3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX LawnSite Gold Member

4. lil_cote_93

lil_cote_93 LawnSite Member
    from ON

yeah i know about 1 wheel units. and i am not interested in them
    but i cant afford a proslide, and i honestly dont love it either.

But i am stuck between the caster wheel or the regular dual wheel
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I would say get the dual wheel if for no other reason than less parts to break.
  6. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

I build my own caster for a 36" belt drive mower. It was just awful. (obviously, that might just have been me, though.)

I just bought a Velke X2. So far I'm thrilled. I only ride like 1-1.5" off the ground...
  7. Roger

Roger LawnSite Fanatic

What mower are you using with the sulky? The mower makes a big difference. Some have stated here, and elsewhere, their suggestion of a ProSlide. I bought one, but it did not work on my mower. Also, a two-wheeled caster sulky did not work.

More information is needed to better answer your question.
  8. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

A friend of mine bought one of the 2 wheels that Wright makes. He hates it so much that it's still like new and he's selling it. It pivots at the mower which causes the operator to twist like a pretzel to turn around and makes it very hard to operate the controls when your all twisted. He wants a caster wheel type that doesn't pivot at the mower.
  9. Wright Mfg

Wright Mfg Guest

Imagine if your equipment trailer had casters. Staying behind the mower is not all it's cracked up to be. Consider the weight, cost, size, maneuverability it tight spaces/near obstacles, momentum and leverage with turns and hills, how the weight, size and leverage effects storage under the handlebars, the need for walking beside it on hills and it being in your way since it's so wide, digging in when backing up due to the casters spinning 180 and then the platform sticking out more from the wheels new position.

Good luck,
  10. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

I had a caster style velke on my 36" snapper pro hydro. I loved being behind the mower at all times, even on turns. It worked great in Florida on St Augustine and bahia lawns. Like most velke, on a severe side slope you had to get off the velke...Thanks fully we did not have many in florida.

OK Down side....when you made a turn, the velke kicked out wide, like the ass ends of the walkers, say you made a right hand turn and there was something on your left, you may hit it...

I would opt for semi pneumatic tires. The small tires woudl pop off the rim pretty easy unless you ran high (30+) psi, Some times when backing the casters did not want to rotate around perfectly every time. so you had step off the velke to allow the casters to rotate.

now keep in mind this was back in the mid 90's and it may not have been the the best unit out there, but I would make sure that if you are buying a castered velke, make sure the casters are sitting on some type of "thrust" style or a tapered bearing to allow them to rotate with ease...

I loved mine. And if not for the fact the i don't have the brightest bunch of guys working for me. If probably have em on my two WB's right now. but the single wheeled velke works for my current situation.