Caster wheels

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by toddman35, Oct 29, 2000.

1. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

I was wondering what you guys use on your front caster wheels? It seems like I am always filling mine up with air (John Deere F525). I was just wondering if any of you use a sealant, or something along those lines to fill them? thanks

2. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

I just deflated all of them on my walkbehinds, theres not that much wieght on them anyway so it dosn't make a difference. On riders you can't do that though.

3. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

You're making your life a lot more difficult by diflating them. Mowers are ALOT easier to roll around when the front wheels are inflated.

4. ojonesy

ojonesy LawnSite Member

call 1-866-6635287 (toll free) for landshark supercasters.

5. jnmaney

jnmaney LawnSite Member

i see a lot of sealant in the tires on our machines, guys dont check the pressure though after putting it in..the person fixing our tires will a lot of times put a tube into save a couple dollars.

6. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

FYI: The weight on the front tires of my 36" was around 60-70 pounds, with a 10 pound difference to one side because of the engine placement.

After constantly refilling the front tires with air, early in the season. (My cut was actually off by an 1/8-1/4 inch between the blades.)

I decided to invest in a pair of foam filled tires.
    The price was $100 for the pair but I haven't had to worry about the tire pressure in them since.

7. Jeff in AL

Jeff in AL LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Last year we started replacing the caster tires with a solid foam/rubber. It does add a few pounds to the machine, but does not cause any problems.
    Our guys love them, because they are the tires that they have the most trouble with.
    They are not a cheap as having a tube put in, but the cost is well worth it, as to not have to worry with them going flat. Most "caster tires" run in the 30.00-60.00 range, depending on the size. We have heard of some people saying that they develope a flat spot from sitting, like over the winter. We have not seen any as of yet though.

Hope this helps.
    Jeff in AL