castering sulky (fixed mount)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by FrankenScagMachines, Mar 15, 2003.

1. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I had an old castering grass catcher (for a garden tractor) laying around and a new welder so what choice did I have yesterday but to whip up a castering sulky. As most of you know I have a 52" hydro fixed deck Scag that I put it on. Let me say I was dissappointed in it's performance. The ground is pretty wet now and I tried it on hilly and level and it just controls the mower too much! On hillsides going across it took all traction away from the uphill tire and it just spun. It did fine going straight uphill but going straight down it wanted to whip the back end sideways. Coming out of turns it just spun the tires. On flat ground it would not track straight. I had to constantly counter act the drag action with the handle grips which wore my hands out. It made my hydros sluggish and I felt like I was going to be flung off on every turn. When going alongside a fence and then turning away from it it caught on the fencing. The only purpose I would have for it is an orchard that I sometimes mow for a guy. There I can see it would save alot of body twisting over my regular sulky and since it's all level it would probably work ok. I'm sure it would work better if it had larger, fully pneumatic tires on it that were positioned farther back beside the platform (they're now in front of it) so I may get some of those for it if I plan on using it ever.

All in all I just don't see how anyone could use one of these unless they had a big heavier mower like a floating deck 52" or bigger cut and with a different control system. Maybe my hydros are weak and that is part of the problem but still the mower's too lightweight.

Any ideas or comments go ahead, I was just wondering if this is all normal or if it works much better in dry conditions or on a heavier machine. Now I cannot fathom how doogiegh runs a Proslide on a 32" Metro belt drive!
    JMHO,
    Eric

2. Navig8r

Navig8r LawnSite Senior Member

What ?!? No Pictures ??!!??:eek:

You're slipping! LOL.

Without seeing it, I'll theorize.. Could the Traction issue be one of "tongue weight" on the mount.. perhaps moving the wheels of the sulky forward to lessen the riders weight on the hitch would help.........

C'mon.. let;s see some pics!

3. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

ok ok I'll get a pic lol but promise not to make fun because it isn't painted. The platform sits behind the wheels like on a two wheel sulky usually does so if I moved the wheels farther back maybe it would work better because more of the riders weight would be on the drive tires.
    I'll get pics in a minute.

4. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Here's a pic. I think if I moved the foot platform more forward and the wheels more backward it would work better. Like I said it needs bigger, pneumatic tires as well, these dig in a bit especially as the ground is wet.

mar15#80.jpg

5. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

bullrider on my scag 48in hydro does ok. Larger tires placed even with foot platform. The castering design allows full use of reverse with a hydro wb and bullrider can also lock wheels and trailer normally.

6. FrankenScagMachines

from IN

Ya like I said I might mess with it some more, put on larger wheels farther back and use it occasionally but still do not like it as well as the regular trailing one. I am good enough with reversing it that it is like second nature I do it without thinking... I don't have to back up that much, thats part of the reason why it's a zero turn LOL

7. gogetter

gogetter Banned

KLC99, anything about the Bull Rider you don't like? I'm considering getting one. I demoed one in Louisville very briefly, and liked it. But didn't get to use in "real world" conditions.

And do you find the need to put it in regular trailing mode much, or does it pretty much stay in fixed mode?

8. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

gogetter---only thing I don't like is the height of the platform (about 3 in off the ground)

Regular trailering mode helps for striping sideways across a slope---in caster mode the mower wants to drift up the hill---but for any really steep hill I just pull one pin and the platform drops of in literally 5 seconds.

9. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

BHB - those are not wheels you have under it - you need real wheels - those look like the castors under my refrigerator- \

Get some wheels that are at least 3" wide and at least 6" tall, and put some real castor swivels on it - It would make a difference I believe.- am going to do the same thing, but am going to use the castors that are on the Flex-Deck

Thanks, Brad

10. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want one go buy one. I know its fun to tinker but most of the time cobbled up junk just doesn't work. my dads the same way, He says why should I buy one when I can make one. 2 days later after the tinkering and cobbling are done he ends up buying what he needs :D because his contraption did not work